Stop tracking marks file for deletion

jmejiaa1986 March 31, 2014

I want to stop tracking a file so I can then ignore it. When I do stop tracking, it puts it in my index with a RED circle for deletion.. reading online it seems it should be putting a question mark instead, I'm afraid it'll delete the file.

What am I doing wrong?

4 answers

0 votes
alex January 11, 2020

Sorry to necro an old thread but the SourceTree behavior seems a little inconsistent (there's probably a reason, but I don't know why). For one file I clicked "Stop Tracking" and it turned to a question mark, then I clicked "Ignore." Worked fine, submitted .gitignore.

Next two files, I clicked "Stop Tracking" and they turned into red Xs. I committed those, THEN the same files appeared with question marks... then I could ignore them. Checked .gitignore, looked correct, submitted.

I don't know why the behavior was different, but... it seems sometimes you can "Stop Tracking, Ignore" other times you have to "Stop Tracking, Commit, Ignore."

0 votes
Seth
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 31, 2014

It's just a matter of misunderstanding the command. For some reason Atlassian appears to have made the decision to disable ignoring tracked files via the UI. "Stop tracking" is a different, but still important, feature.

I expect ignoring files like this is a rare occurance. You'll just have to rely on the command line, I think.

0 votes
jmejiaa1986 March 31, 2014

Well, isn't that what gitignore command is(Which worked in the command line)

It allows me to ignore the changes I make locally, but keep the file in the repo. For example I'm using this to hard code my ID and PW in a form, but obviously I don't want to check it in to git.. So this way this login file is ignored...

I was able to do it in the command line, just curious why it's not working with sourcetree.

0 votes
Seth
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 31, 2014

I'm not sure exactly what you are looking for, but what you describe will delete the file from the repository, but not from your working copy. In other words, the file will still be in the directory you are modifying, but if someone was to clone your repository, they wouldn't have the file at all.

I don't know of any way to ignore a file in your working copy that exists in the repository.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events