Startup message about an older installed version which doesn't actually exist?

Matt Isaacson June 21, 2017

I'm running version 2.1.2.3 under Windows 10. I believe this problem started after I accepted a SourceTree in-app invitation to upgrade to this version. Now, every time I start SourceTree, I get the message "SourceTree has found older versions installed ... The following installs were found: 1.9.6.1 - (C:\Program Files (x86)\Atlassian\SourceTree\)". But in fact there is no SourceTree folder at C:\Program Files (x86)\Atlassian. An older duplicate entry under Add and Remove Programs failed, as it could not find the associated installer app. I've tried various other things but I haven't been able to track down the cause of this message. I assume there are leftover registry entries involved but I haven't been able to find them. Can anyone advise how to clean this up?

Thanks!

1 answer

0 votes
Ana Retamal
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 22, 2017

Hi Matt! There's been other users getting that message and it was because the uninstall didn't clear all the registry settings. You can go to Control Panel > Programs > Programs and Features and make sure the older SourceTree versions are removed, then reboot your system to make sure the uninstall is complete.That dialog is shown in SourceTree when 2.x runs and it finds registry entries referring to prior versions, if you confirm you have uninstalled those, then you can safely check the 'Don't ask me again' option and you won't be prompted with that message again.

Cheers :)

Ana

Matt Isaacson June 22, 2017

Hi Ana, I went to Programs and Features, selected the entry for 1.9.6.1 and tried to uninstall it. Got this message: "An error occurred while trying to uninstall SourceTree. It may have already been uninstalled. Would you like to remove SourceTree from the Programs and Features list?" I said yes, and it's gone – and so is the startup message about SourceTree 1.9.6.1, even without restarting. (Interestingly, the only other SourceTree install that appears there is listed as version 2.0.20.1, even though the version I'm actually using is 2.1.2.3 – so something's a bit out of sync.) Anyway, problem solved – I like to keep detritus of uninstalled software etc in my system to a minimum. Thanks for the response!   Matt

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events