Sourcetree won't start

i3130002 October 16, 2017

After clicking on it no GUI will open. It uses some CPU and Logs this. 

C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Atlassian\SourceTree\sourcetree.log

ERROR [2017-10-16 18:37:09,072] [1] [SourceTree.App] [.ctor] - finish EnsureSquirrelExecutionStubIsCopied
ERROR [2017-10-16 18:37:09,337] [1] [SourceTree.App] [OnStartup] - Failed to start
System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
at SourceTree.Notifications.NotificationsManager.SetOwner(NotificationDialogWindow notificationWindow)
at SourceTree.Notifications.NotificationsManager.ShowNotificationDialog[T](NotificationDialogWindow notificationWindow, Tuple`2 customAction, VistaTaskDialogIcon icon)
at SourceTree.Notifications.NotificationsManager.ShowNotificationDialog[T](String title, String message, Tuple`2 customAction, String cancelLabel, String suppressionSetting, Action`1 suppressionChangedAction, Object contentControl, String contentCommandLabel, Action contentAction)
at SourceTree.Notifications.NotificationsManager.ShowNotificationDialogWithYesConfirmation(String title, String message, String details)
at SourceTree.Configuration.WpfSpellCheckerPreFlightCheck.Run()
at SourceTree.AppRoot.RunPreFlightChecks()
at SourceTree.AppRoot.OnStartup(StartupEventArgs e)
at SourceTree.App.OnStartup(StartupEventArgs e)

4 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Ana Retamal
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 16, 2017

Hi Mahdi, you can find the solution in this other Community thread, it's the answer proposed by Mike Corsaro:

Please navigate to the config file location (C:\Users\{USERNAME}\AppData\Local\Atlassian\SourceTree.exe_{RANDOM_GUID}\2.3.1.0\user.config) and find the following line:

<setting name="AutomaticallyCleanUpDictionaryFiles" serializeAs="String">

<value>True</value>

</setting>

Make sure that value is set to True

Let us know if it worked for you!

Regards,

Ana

Wow. Thanks for your fast replay. I do not have such a thing as in answer. And as I didn't think someone answers this fast, I uninstalled it, truing to reinstall and see if it works.

<setting name="AutomaticallyCleanUpDictionaryFiles" serializeAs="String">
<value>True</value>
</setting>

Mauricio Giovagnini October 25, 2017

Thanks Ana, that did the job for me too, although as Mahdi Rafatjah stated, i didn't have that option either.  I added it manually.

After that i executed sourcetree again and it completed its installation/configuration.

btw, I am using windows 10 pro.

karinmandix November 27, 2019

Same here. I couldn't start SourceTree (v.3.2.6) after I had restarted my PC, but adding that setting manually solved the problem.

0 votes
ErroneousFatality July 11, 2023

Have the same issue on 3.4.13. The accepted solution here doesn't solve it.

0 votes
Francois BERTRAND October 17, 2017

Had the same problem with the exact same error. I had no setting like this in my config file. You have to add it manually, and it works.

Atlassian : Can you publish a fix for this ? It's a critical bug and I lost a lot of time trying to resolve this.

Ana Retamal
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 17, 2017

Hi @Francois BERTRAND, this issue was reported in our issue tracker at SRCTREEWIN-8046. Also, it's been asked in our Community multiple times, so the solution is also posted here publicly.

We have just started the progressive rollout of Sourcetree v2.3.5.0 which includes a fix for this issue. You should be prompted to upgrade sometime over the next 14 days or, alternatively, you can download theupdate directly here: https://downloads.atlassian.com/software/sourcetree/windows/ga/SourceTreeSetup-2.3.5.0.exe

Hope that helps!

Ana

0 votes

Adding this tag worked fine for me 

Reinstalling didn't help :|

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events