Sourcetree without external repository

alexsosa March 27, 2014

Hi,

Is there a version of Sourcetree that allows sharing code among a developer group but doesn't require storing code in an external repository such as GitHub?

TIA,

Alex

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
KieranA
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 27, 2014

Hey there,

SourceTree has no limitations like this, all it wants is a URL to the repository. Git is a distributed system - the repository can be stored anywhere. If you want repositories behind the firewall and have an interface to that you could consider using Stash or Gitolite.

In short the answer is yes - you could get something up and running for people to share code in a repository on your local network within mere minutes.

Cheers

alexsosa March 28, 2014

Thank you very much Kieran. I have another question but will ask it on a separate thread.

buff buff August 10, 2014

Hi Kieran,

You mention that you can use sourcetree and gitolite but I cannot get this configuration to work. Source tree does not seem to recognise the gitolite server. I keep getting the error that indicates that it does not recognise my url as a path to a git server. If I bypass gitolite and I point straight to the repositories folder then it works. What could I be going wrong?

Seth
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 11, 2014

Try to connect to the gitolite server with the command line git client to see if you get a more specific error message. Off the top of my head, SourceTree may choke if you are using HTTPS with a self-signed certificate.

buff buff August 11, 2014

I tried that and I get a similar response:

fatal: '/testing' does not appear to be a git repository
fatal: Could not read from remote repository.

I am not using HTTPS. Should I be?

I have installed git and gitolite and am simply trying to clone one of the repositories that are created by the default gitolite setup. If I do this from the server it works. As soon as I try to use the same command from a remote windows machine I get the above error.

If I bypass gitolite and I go straight to the repositories folder it works but then that defeats the whole point of having gitolite.

Seth
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 11, 2014

If command line Git is giving you the same response, then the problem is either with how you have gitolite setup, or how you're trying to access. You'll probably have more luck if you pose your questionin a gitolite forum of some sort. Try to git it working via command line first, then if SourceTree still has issues, come back here.

buff buff August 12, 2014

Thanks Seth. That saved me from annoying a lot of people. :-)My gitolite config was incorrect. I have now managed to get that working with the source tree command line.

The GUI still gives me the same error. Is there some trick to getting the GUI to identify the gitolite server?

buff buff August 12, 2014

Aah... fixed that one too.

The problem was that Pageant was still using the old key. I just deleted that and manually inserted the correct one.

I think this is a bug because in the GUI I had already changed that key to my one. It does not seem to refresh the one being used by Pageant.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events