Sourcetree unbelievably slow on Windows 10

It takes about 10 minutes to switch from one tab to another.
It takes about 15 minutes after pressing commit before the progress bar appears.
During that time the menu cannot be accessed through windows, but cpu, memory and drive usage on my pc is absolutely minimal. No other Windows program is affected during this time.
I have 3 projects, each project has about 10 - 20 files, of the order of 1K each.
Windows 10 64bit is up-to-date. Sourcetree, too (version 1.9.6.2). Deinstalling it and reinstalling it has had no effect.
The problem started when I ok'd an update. The only unusual aspect of the setup is that my sourcefiles are in a local dropbox folder.
Anyone else seen this behavior?

4 answers

0 vote
Sam Hall Community Champion Dec 09, 2016

Hi Alan,

Does this happen when you are switching repository tabs?

I spotted a bug report here which might be similar to your issue : https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/SRCTREEWIN-6670

Hope it helps.

Sam

Thanks Sam,

Unfortunately that fix didn't help. The spell-check was off already and I've now on the latest version 1.9.9.20. 

The effect is visible when I switch between tags. But also on the frame on the left showing a tree of "File Status, Branches, Tags, Remotes" takes a very long time to display. So I suspect it might be related to GIT.

Is there a way of testing the embedded GIT through the command line to see if that's what's causing the problem?  Can anyone suggest a simple command to try?

Alan

Hi Alan,

Do your issue have been fixed yet? my friend also getting the same issue now.

Hans

Hi Hans,

Hi Hans,

I'm afraid not.

My workaround is to press the button, make myself a nescaffe, drink the coffee, and by then the screen has refreshed .

luckily I only need to do this about once a week,

Alan

I'm facing the same problem. Git bash is painfully slow, even for a tiny repo with less than 10 commits. Using Windows 10 Bootcamp, and latest SourceTree 2.1.2.5

Suggest an answer

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

Badges are a great way to show off community activity, whether you’re a newbie or a Champion.

Learn more
Community showcase
Published May 30, 2018 in Sourcetree

Tip from the team: configuring Git or Mercurial in Sourcetree

Supported Platforms macOS Windows To make using Sourcetree as simple yet powerful as possible we embed (bundle) dependencies such as Git, Git LFS, and Mercurial. We strive to keep these...

556 views 1 2
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you