Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sourcetree sometimes showing changes from some arbitrary commit

Brian Alan Lloyd August 5, 2017

For instance, after clicking on HEAD, I see

Displaying all changes between 19e9eb6b0c81aaa80227a15357d2b9e5ba3053cc and working copy

Since that 19e9 is ancient, this diff takes ages.  The only way I have found to "fix" this is to close SourceTree and reopen it.  Is this a feature of sourcetree I am somehow triggering and how do I turn it off when I enable it?

If this is a bug, is it a known one that will be fixed soon?  when it happens, it pretty much mandates closing SourceTree as every operation takes minutes to complete.

Note, this isn't when using shift to select multiple items.  This is single clicking without modifiers pressed.  Though a modifier key might have been pressed earlier but isn't anymore.  Pressing and releasing mod keys (alt/ctrl/shift) does not fix it.

3 answers

3 votes
Jonathan Lidbeck December 7, 2018

Definitely a UI bug, I get this all the time. When "Displaying all changes between xxx and yyy" appears, SourceTree thinks you have two commits selected, but you have only one.

This occurs when the commit window refreshes while you're working, so your selected commit disappears. Internally, SourceTree thinks it's still selected, but you can't de-select it through normal actions, e.g. selecting another commit.

Workaround: Hit Ctrl-A to select all commits in the window. Then click on a commit. It should show normally again.

nwatson6 December 29, 2018

Thank you so much, this fixed it.  My days of resetting Sourcetree over and over are done.

Like jlidbeck likes this
anterokarttunen February 4, 2019

You are a life saver! Thank you. Nowadays sourcetree is getting worse every patch.. maybe some key developer has left the team?

Like jlidbeck likes this
2 votes
Deleted user January 7, 2019

This issue is still present in version 3.0.12 under Windows 10.

1 vote
Ana Retamal
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 11, 2017

Hi Brian, this actually sounds like it could be a bug. Please provide some more information so we can reproduce it:

• Which version of SourceTree and OS are you using? 
  • Which diff tool are you using?
  • Does it only happen with this ancient commit?

Regards,

Ana

Brian Alan Lloyd August 11, 2017

SourceTree 2.1.8.0

Beyond Compare for Diff

Windows 10 OS

The commit isn't always the same one.  But certain commits seem to come up often.

When I notice it broken is often shortly after having tabbed back into the program.  So it could be an issue with what's done when SourceTree is not in focus.

IE, work in Visual Studio.  Tab to SourceTree to check diffs/commit working change/etc.  Suddenly diff window has one item highlighted but the diff is across a large number and takes forever to generate/refresh.

It seems if I check/uncheck the show all branches it will fix the problem without restarting.

MonthlySpecial August 5, 2018

Having the same issue.

SourceTree 2.6.10.0

Windows 10

Greg Auger August 13, 2018

I've also been seeing this issue on Windows 10 with SourceTree 2.6.10.0

LukeBucket September 25, 2018

Same here Windows 10 with SourceTree 2.6.10.0.

Note this usually happens when there are uncommitted and unstaged changed files. When I commit these file the issue is gone for a time. But it comes back often (probably after some commit or branch checkout, but I can't tell for sure what the actual reason is).

Marijn van der Zaag February 26, 2020

Same issue here on Win10 with SourceTree 2.3.1.0

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events