Sourcetree refuses to use keychain

Wesley Boynton November 16, 2015

Hello!

Each time Sourcetree attempts to use my credentials for any account, OSX prompts me with a message informing me that 'SourceTree wants to use your confidential information stored in "github.com" in your keychain'  - If I hit "Allow" or "Always Allow", nothing happens. The dialog remains in-place for an infinite number of clicks until I finally press "Deny."

I've tried deleting my credentials, reinstalling sourcetree...nothing works. Any assistance would be really helpful!

13 answers

1 vote
manish-makwana April 2, 2016

I've got the same issue - sourcetree 2.2.4. Ironically my github account works fine, but it's the Bitbucket one that gets stuck on keychain access. I've been able to bypass the issue by following Wesley Boynton's solution of allowing global access to the Bitbucket credential. Still pretty crappy.

It seems like Atlassian just does not monitor this forum at all?

1 vote
Wesley Boynton December 15, 2015

Temporary Workaround: I went into my keychain, found my github credential, and changed it to always allow access without password to that credential. Not super terrified of programs on my computer misusing my github creds...

That said, this is pretty crappy. Atlassian needs to fix this. Sourcetree continually asks for access, even when keychain reports that it has been explicitly allowed.

1 vote
Wesley Boynton December 3, 2015

I appreciate that Atlassian has provided not even an acknowledgement to this issue, much less a solution.

@Brian Brown, I fixed this by removing all of my repositories and adding the ones I actually use again. Another answer clued me in that a repository containing a remote to which I no longer have access might cause a (still inexcusable) keychain password loop. After deleting all of my bookmarks (without removing the repositories themselves from my machine) I can confirm that I'm not getting any nasty keychain notifications anymore.

I hope this helps!
~Wes 

Brian Brown December 3, 2015

Thank you very much! That worked!

0 votes
Robert Lowe May 27, 2021

The answer is don't use Sourcetree. I just switched to Github Desktop and everything is so simple. No pop-ups asking for passwords every few seconds, without it even being apparent which password is being asked for. Wasted so much time trying to configure and reconfigure Sourcetree. Good bye and good riddance

0 votes
huttarl August 5, 2020

This is really annoying, because the popup stays in front of all windows, so you keep having to drag it out of the way. It seems to keep coming up until you quit SourceTree, and even then you have to dismiss it several more times.

I had this problem in the past, and eventually found a solution, which lasted quite a few months. But with the upgrade to 4.0.2, the problem came back. And now I don't remember the solution that worked last time. Argh. Atlassian, please figure out a fix!

0 votes
wallmanderco-jameswills September 24, 2019

Still happening despite trying the above solutions. Come on Atlassian!!

0 votes
Bayram Ali Bayrak January 10, 2018

Go to KeyChain Access on MacOs Applications/Utilities. You need to add credentials which the popup wants. 

0 votes
alexandergrein January 26, 2016

In my case the problem was a thirdparty software (MagicPrefs).

To check this out, start your mac in safemode. Then open sourcetree and try if the problem is still there.

If not, you have to find the bad guy. First remove all startup objects in your mac user profile. If this doesn't help, a user or system extension could be the problem too (like in my case). 

0 votes
Ryan Ault January 26, 2016

FIX: 

1. Download App Cleaner and trash everything related to SourceTree i.e. Application Support, Caches, Preferences (ignore the executable, which requires pro version). Close App Cleaner, you're done with it now.

2. Trash SourceTree from Applications folder manually

3. Restart your computer

4. Download SourceTree version 2.0.3 Download Now

5. Install, and everything should be golden (note: you'll have to add your local repositories again)

6. Yayy

0 votes
alexandergrein January 14, 2016

I can confirm the problem and I also nearly tried everything to get rid of it.

Reinstall, deleting preferences, deleting all repos and all user specific settings.

After adding some repos again, the damn window pops up again and sawn on my nerves.

0 votes
xmollv December 10, 2015

I'm having the same issue. I've even reinstalled the app and it's still crashing when I try to access the "Remote" section. I've deleted everything related to git/github/Bitbucket from my Keychain and it's still crashing.

I'm using the terminal until it's fixed sad

0 votes
Wesley Boynton December 9, 2015

Never mind. Removing my repositories worked for a while, but now after a full reinstall of sourcetree and a removal of all of my repositories, the problem has returned and is persisting.

Atlassian! Help, please!

0 votes
Brian Brown November 18, 2015

This happens to me too.  I've tried exactly the same things you have.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events