Sourcetree on Windows 7 [sometimes] not starting

Since the latest patch (1.9.6.1) I have had problems with SourceTree not launching. Immediately after the upgrade it started just fine. After a reboot it didn't launch at all (process SourceTree.exe got launched but didn't load more than ~35 000 kB) even after 10 minutes of waiting.

I have found 2 other threads about this problem but none of the solutions seemed to work permanently.

What I tried so far:

• Clearing the %TEMP% folder, did not launch
  • Uninstalling SourceTree, reboot, reinstall newest version (didn't launch)
  • Uninstalling SourceTree, deleting the Atlassian folder in %APPDATA% and reinstalling the newest version (didn't launch)
  • Uninstalling SourceTree, deleting the Atlassian folder in %APPDATA% and reinstalling an old version (1.6)
    • did not launch
    • I could launch the updater though, so I selected the version before 1.9.6.1, but that also did not launch
  • Updating / repairing my .NET 4.6 installation, did not launch
  • Uninstaling SourceTree, deleting the Atlassian folder in %APPDATA% and reinstalling the newest version in a different place than the default install location, now it did launch

So after all that it finally worked for a few days. However today seems to be the day the problem reoccurs apparently, SourceTree will not launch again. The process SourceTree.exe gets stuck at ~34 300 kB. I tried clearing the %TEMP% folder, rebooting and clearing the Atlassian folder, all did not work.

I am running Windows 7 64-bit, and would very much like for SourceTree to start working normally again, hoping someone can help me out.

1 answer

For anybody running into the same issues as me: I installed SmartGit and no reconfiguration of repositories needed, branches etc are all at the point that I left it at with SourceTree.

Suggest an answer

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

Badges are a great way to show off community activity, whether you’re a newbie or a Champion.

Learn more
Community showcase
Published May 30, 2018 in Sourcetree

Tip from the team: configuring Git or Mercurial in Sourcetree

Supported Platforms macOS Windows To make using Sourcetree as simple yet powerful as possible we embed (bundle) dependencies such as Git, Git LFS, and Mercurial. We strive to keep these...

548 views 1 2
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you