Sourcetree keeps losing my bookmarks

For quite some time now, my bookmarks have been set in stone in sourcetree. If I delete bookmarks or add new ones, they seem fine for the duration of the session, but if I close and re-open sourcetree, the deleted bookmarks return and the new bookmarks are lost. This does not affect any of the underlying repositories, but I find it to be very annoying.

2 answers

Check if the folders used by SourceTree are writable by the user running the program. What you describe above indicates that SourceTree cannot save the bookmarks to disk.

I assume that is the folder where sourcetree is installed or one of the subfolders. In that case then no, the user does not have permission to write to that folder. Can I tell it to save the bookmarks somewhere else or how can I resolve this?

I think the only thing you can do is to install it to another place where it will be able to modify the files.

I uninstalled sourcetree and re-installed it to a new location, but it still has the same bookmarks and the problem persists. Where are these bookmarks stored?

There is a folder with stuff at c:\Users\<user>\AppData\Local\Atlassian . Probably somewhere here.

So guess there is no way to change which directory it uses?

Not sure, there might be a registry key for this... (I do not work for Atlassian, just use the software.)

Well...I deleted the c:\Users\<user>\AppData\Local\Atlassian\SourceTree folder, reinstalled...and it worked! :) just letting you know. The bookmarks issue was gone afterwards.

This was in version 1.6.13.0 by the way

Balazs Szakmary Thank. After changing the permission on Atlassian the issue is resolved.

I had the same issue. it worked after changing the Readonly access in the folders where sourcetree was installed as well as in the local data.

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Brian Ganninger
Published Jan 23, 2018 in Sourcetree

Tip from the team: workflow and keyboard shortcuts

Supported Platforms macOS Sourcetree has a lot to offer and, like many developer tools, finding and using it all can be a challenge, especially for a new user. Everyone might not love ...

274 views 0 3
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you
Atlassian Team Tour

Join us on the Team Tour

We're bringing product updates and pro tips on teamwork to ten cities around the world.

Save your spot