Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sourcetree is really slow on my Mac

Frances Morales September 9, 2013

Sourcetree has all of a sudden gotten really slow? It is slow to start up, and staging file and other actions like that results in a busy spinner that lasts for 30 to 90 seconds. How do I begin to troubleshoot this? This is on OSX.

4 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
KieranA
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 9, 2013

Hi Frances,

We get spurious reports of this happening. In some cases it's just SourceTree configuration, and in others it's an unknown. Here's some things to check:

1. Have you got adequate system resources? Hard disk space, main memory etc.
  2. Have you got many repositories in your bookmarks or open?
  3. Are you using embedded or system Git/Mercurial? If system, what version(s)?
  4. Have you got many untracked files in a repository/repositories?
  5. What filters are you using in your SourceTree views? i.e. 'Show Untracked'
  6. Where are your repositories located? Locally on your hard disk or on a network drive?

That should get us started for now. The feedback on these will help us further determine the problem.

Thanks very much in advance!

1 vote
Toland Hon February 19, 2015

It turns out because I had 30 or so stashes, Sourcetree was running extremely slow. Once I cleared my stash, everything was spiffy again.

0 votes
Tim Osborn November 4, 2013

Hi, I've noticed a slow-down recently, too... Not sure if its repo specific, but anecdotally, it seems that ST has been slower in the last few weeks(?) than it has been this past year.

This thread looks more recent than the more active thread, so I'll post here..

My issue may be that I'm tracking my Vendor directory in a Laravel4 / Composer project (which is not recommended). I've just untracked and ignored the /vendor directory, so I'll see if that helps...

...but initial feedback is that now my /Vendor directory does not display with any filters, not All, untracked, or Ignored.. that'd be a separate ticket...

The ignored files show using the command

git ls-files --others -i --exclude-standard

(via)

Cheers, Tim

My system:
  1. OSX 10.8.5, 16gb RAM, 75gb free on 500gb SSD,
  2. Have you got many repositories in your bookmarks or open? Only 1 at a time
  3. Using embedded Git: 1.7.11.1, SourceTree 1.7.3
  4. Have you got many untracked files in a repository/repositories? None
  5. What filters? Usually Pending, 3 line preview
  6. Where are your repositories located? Locally

0 votes
Frances Morales September 26, 2013

I had a bunch of untracked files. Once I resolved that issue things speeded right up.

thanks for the help

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events