Sourcetree does not find installed Kaleidoscope (on one computer?!)

1. I use two Macs: one Macbook Air, one iMac.
  2. On both I have installed the recent version of SourceTree and Kaleidoscope.
  3. On both I have selected Kaleidoscope as external Diff tool

On the Air everything is working as expected. On the iMac, SourcTree does not find (?) Kaleidoscope...

SourceTree was updated in between as well as Kaleidoscope. Nothing changed.

Any ideas?

5 answers

1 accepted

This widget could not be displayed.

Hi Alexander,

This is typically because Kaleidoscope's command line tools aren't installed. With Kaleidoscope 2 the command line tools are a separate installation. Go to Kaleidoscope menu > Integration then install ksdiff.

Cheers

Great! This helped! Thanks!

But the error message of SourceTree could be a little more specific ;)

I'm having the same issue. With Kaleidoscope selected as the external diff tool, clicking "External Diff" does nothing. I do have the Kaleidoscope command-line tools installed:

$ type ksdiff
ksdiff is hashed (/usr/local/bin/ksdiff)

This is with SourceTree 1.5.6 and Kaleidoscope 2.0.1 (both Mac app store versions) on Mac OS X 10.8.2.

From the 1.5.7 release notes:

• Fix support for Kaleidoscope diff when updated to version 2.0+

:)

We can no longer update SourceTree on the App Store though (here's why) , please switch to the direct version from our website to get updates after 1.5.6.

Oh, sandboxing. Say no more, I get the picture. I'm getting the latest version now.

I'd suggest that the page at http://www.sourcetreeapp.com should indicate what the current version is. I had been to that page a couple of times, but there was nothing on it to indicate that my copy was out of date.

I'm here - over a year after the original question - because I got the same cryptic message when trying to use Kaleidoscope with Sourcetree.

Over a year and you can't add "Please check that the Kalediscope command line tools are installed." to the error message?

Installing the command line tools from within Kaleidoscope failed for me but installing it manually with the installer worked:

http://www.kaleidoscopeapp.com/ksdiff2

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Published May 30, 2018 in Sourcetree

Tip from the team: configuring Git or Mercurial in Sourcetree

Supported Platforms macOS Windows To make using Sourcetree as simple yet powerful as possible we embed (bundle) dependencies such as Git, Git LFS, and Mercurial. We strive to keep these...

860 views 2 3
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you