Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sourcetree - crashes computer on start up

Monica Gotelaere May 31, 2017

I've done a full uninstall (appdata etc) and clean reinstall no less than 5x with the latest sourcetree and I'm having terrible luck.  I have created my repositories fresh every single time.  And granted I'll give you that I'm a new user to git (which is the only reason why I'm staying with sourcetree) so I don't understand a lot of the nuances here.

I have linked my bitbucket source in sourcetree.  I have cloned.  I have opened my files in .net studio, built my project, viewed on the web.  Perfect.

I close and leave for the day come in the next day and I get an empty tab in sourcetree that is trying to do I don't know what.  I close the tab.  I get my repositories but they're empty the ones that are supposed to be there) and I nothing in my folders.  There's no branches there's information.  It's like the link is gone.  Then as I watch in my task manager my processes go up and up and up and my machine crashes.  Every. Single. Time.

I've closed Sourcetree and waited until my processes stop, I've had 10-15 git.exe processes going at once.   I don't know what the heck it's doing but I'm not doing anything.  I'm not clicking around in Sourcetree.  I followed the instructions.  My coworker (who uses git, not sourcetree) set up the bitbucket and can't help me with the sourcetree aspect.

I had zero difficulty with previous versions.  I haven't been able to function in the new version I have lost productivity.  It would have been easier to scrap Sourcetree and use git by itself.

Help or I'll have to find another approach today.

1 answer

0 votes
Mike Corsaro
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 1, 2017

Hello! Sorry to hear you're experancing this issue. First, please try upgrading to 2.1 and see if the problem is resolved (https://downloads.atlassian.com/software/sourcetree/windows/ga/SourceTreeSetup-2.1.2.4.exe). If not please provide the following:

• Some info about your system. PC specs, OS version, etc.
  • A video of the problem occuring, if possible. If you're using Windows 10, you can press WIN+G and use the Xbox recorder to make a video (if it asks if SourceTree is a game, just say 'yes')
  • Is the problem only occuring with a specific repo, or all of your repos?
  • Lastly, could you go to Tools>Options and uncheck the "Refresh automatically when files change" and "Refresh when application is not in focus" setting?

Thanks!

Monica Gotelaere June 1, 2017

Mike - That was exactly what I ended up doing - unchecking the refresh automatically and it seemed to help tremendously.

I will update the software tomorrow when I'm back in office.  thanks for the response.  As a side note, after I posted this it worked again for the afternoon.  We'll see tomorrow. :)

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events