Sourcetree commit

Ned CS October 2, 2013

Why if I click on the button Commit on the top bar in the commit window I cannot select any files under Working Copy changes..

but if I right-click on the files and then from the submenu click on Commit the file are correctly selected...

is this a bug or it's a feature ? Is there a preferences to setup this? I'd like to click on the big button COMMIT Instead of selecting the files and the right click and then Commit..

3 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
KieranA
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 2, 2013

Hi Ned,

You have to stage files before you can select them, that's why they're not selectable. This is a basic Git concept (check out the 'git add' section in Atlassian's docs: https://www.atlassian.com/git/tutorial/git-basics#!add).

It sounds like you want a more basic workflow instead of having to stage files. If this is the case you can go into your SourceTree preferences and turn off 'Use the staging area' which will always allow you to select entire files rather than having to stage them.

Hope that helps

0 votes
Ned CS October 7, 2013

ok, I see. Thanks for the explanation and the help

0 votes
Ned CS October 3, 2013

no no, I don't need to add the file, I'm talking about file that are ALREADY under GIT.

But I see that if I disable the 'Use the staging area' it works.. Thanks

KieranA
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 3, 2013

Even if the file is already in Git, you have to stage it. You can't commit the file if it isn't staged, this isn't the way Git works. Disabling the staging area is just providing Git explicit options to say "commit these files". It's important to understand this as it's a fundamental part of Git. Take a look at the tutorial I posted above to understand the staging area.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events