Sourcetree Windows cannot SSH into Git server with password

Steven Bennett November 20, 2017

For quite a long time now, I've been using a Git repository hosted on a Hostgator server, accessing it through SSH and a password.   I had been able to access this just fine on both my Mac and my Windows computers, but after several months, I updated to the latest versions, and suddenly I no longer can access the repository from Windows.

It fails, telling me it cannot read from the remote repository.   It does NOT prompt me for a password, nor were there any Accounts listed in the Tools/Options/Authentication section.

So I tried to add an account for it -- but the only "Hosting Entry" type which actually allows entering a Host URL was "Bitbucket Server".  Still, I put that in, set my preferred protocol to SSH, and entered the credentials and password... but when it tried to authenticate it claimed that only HTTP or HTTPS were allowed.

So now I'm stumped - did something change to remove password support for SSH in the more recent versions?   If not, how do I get it to prompt?

Also, now, it's showing an entry under the Account for the invalid Bitbucket Server entry -- and the "Delete" button isn't actually removing it.   How do you get rid of that?

1 answer

0 votes
minnsey
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 21, 2017

Hi

Firstly I'm afraid the Hosted Accounts will only support the specified server types. (I'm impressed it saved the credentials if it wasn't one of those instances).

Secondly we did fix some account deletion issues in v2.3.5.0, if you aren't using that I would suggest updating.

Ultimately the account credentials are stored in the Windows Credential Manager and can be deleted from there.

With respect to your SSH auth error. Sourcetree relies on Git and the Git Credential Manager to handle the actual authentication with remote servers of all types.

If you run git from the Sourcetree terminal, opened using the button in the upper right of a repository tab' and try and do a git pull, I would expect you to be challenged for a username/password  by a simple GUI. Does this happen?

If you run the same git pull twice are you prompted twice?

Can you also let us know what version of git and Git Credential Manager you are using?

> git version

> git credential-manager version

thanks

Steven Bennett November 21, 2017

I am using 2.3.5.0 already - that's the version all of this was happening with.  I was able to delete the entries in the Windows Credential Manager, however.

Doing a git pull from Terminal does in fact prompt for a password each and every time you do it.   (Side note - is there any way to change the commit/merge editor choice from vi to something more usable?  Ugh.)

Git is version 2.11.0.windows.1

Git Credential Manager for windows is version 1.8.1.6

minnsey
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 22, 2017

That GCM is old its up to v1.12.0 now which has much better support for Bitbucket amongst other things.

If you are using system git I would recommend downloading and installing the latest Git, 2.15.0 at the time of writing which will have a much more uptodate GCM. Or if you are using the embedded Git, use the option in Tools/Options/Git tab in Sourcetree to update to the latest embedded version.

In Sourcetree you can set the diff/merge program that Sourcetree will use. See the Tools/Options/Diff tab. Be aware you need to install 1 of the tools manually your self first, Sourcetree does not bundle them.

I personally use KDiff3 and find it vey easy to use.

Steven Bennett November 22, 2017

Okay, I've updated my embedded Git which brings it up to version 2.14.1.windows.1, and Git Credential Manager up to version 1.12.0.  But it still doesn't fix the lack of a password prompt when trying to access the remote server from Sourcetree.

I can work around this problem for now by using the Terminal to do git push and git pull requests (since the command line always correctly prompts for a password...).

But it's pretty awkward to do it that way -- any further suggestions?

Trivikram Godse February 11, 2018

I agree this is crazy, I am running into the same issue. I am sorry but SourceTree has ton of source issues, really need to fix. Starting from Installation all the way to the UI, very frustrating. I am this close too good bye.

minnsey
Atlassian Team
February 12, 2018

Hi this should be fixed in 2.4.8.0

It includes an updated cop of PuTTY/Pageant. It can be downloaded here: https://downloads.atlassian.com/software/sourcetree/windows/ga/SourceTreeSetup-2.4.8.0.exe

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events