SourceTree without SSD - is it possible?

Juraj Husar December 7, 2014

Is possible to use SourceTree without SSD disk ? I noticed incredible slowness and disk performance near to 100% when performing actions. Every simple action is loaded really slow (in seconds).

tested on: Windows7, local (new) repository = no network neccessary

Thanks

4 answers

0 votes
Balázs Szakmáry
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 7, 2014

Try comparing the performance with another Git client (on the same clone) to see if the issue is actually with SourceTree or something else (resources of your computer, your repository being huge, etc.).

To the question: It is completely possible to use SourceTree without an SSD, but it is obviously faster with one.

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 7, 2014

Like Norman, when I use it, it's fine on none-SSDs. At a guess, I'd say it might be something interfering with the disk access that Sourcetree needs to do - I'd be tempted to look at virus checking first...

0 votes
Juraj Husar December 7, 2014

sorry I forget to write details, it's running on Windows 7, but more I can provide tomorrow (because currently I am not on that PC). But it was slow even with empty new repository (not connected to remote repo), so I assumed it's because of DISK because really it was working all the time performing simple sourcetree tasks. Maybe it's possible to configure somehow but not seen solution for now.

0 votes
Norman Abramovitz
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 7, 2014

I am not sure how to take your question. I use SourceTree all the time without an SSD disk. I am not sure why you think you need one. Or, Are you saying SourceTree is so slow that you need to use a SSD disk to get performance? In either case, can you describe your environment including your repository? I am suspecting it is your particular environmental factors that might be the issue.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events