Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SourceTree will no longer start

Mel Pettitt September 18, 2017

SourceTree on my workstation was recently updated - currently version 2.3.1.   Although I didn't explicitly update it, I know it was updated because the icon changed on my task bar.

Now, since the last reboot, when I try to start SourceTree, nothing happens.

Looking into sourcetree.log, the following is logged:   (As you can see it's getting a NullReferenceException and quitting)

What do I do?

Thanks, in advance, for any help you can lend.

Mel

( I've edited this point 3 times now to update things, and now it says SPAM??  Really?  It is NOT spam.   I need a resolution to this problem. )

--------------------

ERROR [2017-09-18 20:25:41,868] [1] [SourceTree.App] [.ctor] - finish EnsureSquirrelExecutionStubIsCopied
ERROR [2017-09-18 20:25:41,968] [1] [SourceTree.App] [OnStartup] - Failed to start
System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
   at SourceTree.Notifications.NotificationsManager.SetOwner(NotificationDialogWindow notificationWindow)
   at SourceTree.Notifications.NotificationsManager.ShowNotificationDialog[T](NotificationDialogWindow notificationWindow, Tuple`2 customAction, VistaTaskDialogIcon icon)
   at SourceTree.Notifications.NotificationsManager.ShowNotificationDialog[T](String title, String message, Tuple`2 customAction, String cancelLabel, String suppressionSetting, Action`1 suppressionChangedAction, Object contentControl, String contentCommandLabel, Action contentAction)
   at SourceTree.Notifications.NotificationsManager.ShowNotificationDialogWithYesConfirmation(String title, String message, String details)
   at SourceTree.Configuration.WpfSpellCheckerPreFlightCheck.Run()
   at SourceTree.AppRoot.RunPreFlightChecks()
   at SourceTree.AppRoot.OnStartup(StartupEventArgs e)
   at SourceTree.App.OnStartup(StartupEventArgs e)

2 answers

1 accepted

11 votes
Answer accepted
Mike Corsaro
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 19, 2017

Hello! This is a known issue. Please navigate to the config file location (C:\Users\{USERNAME}\AppData\Local\Atlassian\SourceTree.exe_{RANDOM_GUID}\2.3.1.0\user.config) and find the following line:

<setting name="AutomaticallyCleanUpDictionaryFiles" serializeAs="String"> 
<value>True</value>
</setting>

Make sure that value is set to True

Mel Pettitt September 20, 2017

Thanks!   I added this and the problem went away.

chicken199 September 25, 2017

After I added this line it worked. Thank

John O_Toole September 27, 2017

I had the same issue - I couldn't get SourceTree 2.3.1.0 to start even after doing a full clean install.  

The "AutomaticallyCleanUpDictionaryFiles" line wasn't in my user.config.  I added it and now I can open SourceTree. 

Dan Haywood October 1, 2017

Another +1 on this (Windows 10 Pro + ST 2.3.1.0) ... had to add the line and then it worked.

Graham Mueller October 10, 2017

I added this and the application opened again, but when I returned to the user.config file, the lines I added were removed by SourceTree again... am I going to have to keep setting this? Why is it getting cleared?

Markus Weser October 11, 2017

Thanks! Adding this setting solved for me (Win 10 16299.15, SourceTree 2.3.1.0) 👍

Nik P October 12, 2017

Worked for me. But guys, please fix this problem. I just wasted about 1.5 hours trying to find the solution.

untit1ed NA October 12, 2017

Worked for me. 

0 votes
Ana Retamal
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 18, 2017

Hi everyone! As an update for this topic, we have just started the progressive rollout of Sourcetree v2.3.5.0 which includes a fix for this issue. You should be prompted to upgrade sometime over the next 14 days or, alternatively, you can download the update directly from https://downloads.atlassian.com/software/sourcetree/windows/ga/SourceTreeSetup-2.3.5.0.exe

Cheers :)

Ana

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events