Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SourceTree takes 3 seconds to stage/unstage a file

Graham Borland February 13, 2014

Staging or unstaging a file takes almost 3 seconds. This is on a top-end late-2013 Macbook Pro.

It doesn't make a difference if it's done from the menu or by double-clicking.

It's the same whether it's adding a new file, or staging changes to an existing file. Even a few lines changed in a modestly-sized file (few hundred lines) exhibits this.

I do not have any untracked files.

I tried changing the view filter from "Show Pending" to "Show Modified" and that didn't help either; if anything it made it worse (5 seconds!).

How can I improve this?

SourceTree 1.8.1, using embedded Git.

Macbook Pro, OS X 10.9.1, 2.6GHz Core i7, 16GB RAM

11 answers

0 votes
fuck atlassian May 22, 2015

http://www.npackd.org/p/com.sourcetreeapp.SourceTree/1.5.2 ive read people recommending to use this old version, im trying it now, it may fix problems introduced by unable coders in latest versions.

0 votes

also this - https://www.plasticscm.com will give it a shot, friend suggested

0 votes
Seth
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 22, 2015
0 votes

Years go by they are still not bating an eye. Great company, if only i had simple alternative i would abandon this trashware this instant.

0 votes
Seth
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 13, 2014

An SSD even. I can't think of any good reason for SourceTree to take that long. Hopefully you get some attention from Atlassian on this.

0 votes

Right. It's all local, on the internal SSD. And as I mentioned, the equivalent git commands in the shell execute instantaneously.

0 votes
Seth
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 13, 2014

Not very big, then. The only other good reason I can think of would be if your repository wasn't on a local, internal drive. I would expect a little lag or slowness from a flash drive or network storage.

0 votes

Total size = 32M

.git = 1.6M

Size of tracked files = 5M

(Ignored files 27M approx)

Total number of files (including .git) = 614

0 votes
Seth
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 13, 2014

You mentioned you have no untracked files, and you are staging relatively small changes. What about your repository itself? How big is it?

0 votes

git add or git stash on the command line are both instantaneous. This delay is definitely coming from Sourcetree rather than Git. To further describe what I see:

A dialog pops up saying "Staging files". This disappears after about half a second.

Two little round spinning progress indicators pop up; one in the working tree, and one in the index. These spin round for 2 or 3 seconds.

The file in question finally disappears from the working tree and reappears in the index area. After the file has appeared in the index, the two little spinners start spinning again for another second or two.

Once the spinners stop for the second time, then Sourcetree settles down and I can continue working. The overall process is at least 3 seconds.

0 votes
Adrian Moerchen
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 13, 2014

How long does git stash on the shell need? At least on Windows SourceTree only invokes shell commands.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events