SourceTree stopped working and won't let me reinstall it completely

Shonanj June 9, 2017

Hello,

I have an issue I can't solved myself... After closing SourceTree, it happened that I could not open it again. So I tried to uninstall and reinstall it. The problem is that when I reinstall it, there is no wizard window or anything. Just a pop up that disappear very fast and then the files I just uninstalled reappear as previous and SourceTree laucher doesn't do anything when I click on it.

I tried deleting all the folders related to SourceTree in appdata\local, to uninstall with advanced uninstaller to try removing all the files of sourcetree from the computer but when I reinstall, nothing change...

I could use some help :)

1 answer

0 votes
Ana Retamal
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 9, 2017

Hi Bouvier! Are you using SourceTree for Mac or for Windows?

You can go to Control Panel > Programs > Programs and Features and make sure the older SourceTree versions are removed, then reboot your system to make sure the uninstall is complete.

I'd also recommend resetting your SourceTree preferences to make sure you start clean again, you cna follow the instructions at How to wipe SourceTree preferences.

Let me know how it goes!

Regards,

Ana

Shonanj June 9, 2017

Sorry, I didn't specify. I am using SourceTree on Windows 10, 64 bits.

I made sure that no more SourceControl versions are removed and reboot my system several times but it doesn't change anything.

I also tried to follow the instructions on how to wipe SourceTree preferences but I have no files corresponding to bookmarks.xml", "opentabs.xml", "userhosts" in C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Atlassian\SourceTree\. The folder is almost empty. Same for the file user.config.

The strange things is that everytime I delete or uninstall the process is almost instant. Just like if nothing was really happening. Just that when I uninstall the folder disappear and when I reinstall it just go back exactly where it was withtout changing anything.

Shonanj June 10, 2017

I found a solution, kind of randomly, just deleted some files related to git in several folders and I could reinstall through the wizard and now it is working correctly. Thanks for help!

Ana Retamal
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 14, 2017

Glad it's working for you now :)

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events