Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SourceTree silent install on Windows

Nicolas Bonvin January 12, 2014

Hi,

I'm trying to install SourceTree 1.3.3 via Puppet on Windows (300+ machines) and I'm struggling with the (undocumented) silent install options. Has anyone been able to do it ? Or in other words: what options should be used to make an unattended install of SourceTree 1.3.3 on Windows ?

Thanks,

Nicolas

5 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted

OK, I think I've figured it out: the two options to pass are /qn (to make it silent) and APPDIR=some-folder (if you don't want to use the default folder). Easy to puppetize once you know what's expected from the installer.

The next requirement to make this install fully automated is to preconfigure the user prefs (git location, username/email, putty SSH and licence) - they are currently asked upon first launch. We are doing this kind of automation for all of our development software provisioning (100+ products) so I guess I'll have to open a New Feature issue for that.

Thanks for your time, the Advanced Installer mention helped me dig further.

Cheers,

Nicolas

Marcel Noordzij July 23, 2014

Did you in the end succeed in getting it to work in a full 'silent' mode.

With silent I mean:

The user questions to be answered (registration, mercury question) are handled by the installation itself and not asked to the user after first starting Sourcetree?

Regards,

Marcel

Nicolas Bonvin July 29, 2014

Hi Marcel,

No, we could not make it completely silent since the config you mention (except for the license file) is stored in a directory whose name changes with the SourceTree version. On Windows it comes in the form of APPDATA/.../SourceTree.exe_Url_nmsdfhjsdf1234h1234nmkscv2344j/.../user.config.

This file is also where the SourceTree user prefs are stored when the app is used so we don't want to play with it during provisioning.

So yes, we are still looking for a way to specify the installation prefs upon install, as of today we provision the license file and let the user answer the Mercury/Git questions.

Hope this helps,

Cheers,

Nicolas

0 votes
KieranA
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 12, 2014

Yeah we no longer user ClickOnce due to various limitations, just to clarify.

0 votes
Jeff Thomas
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 12, 2014

Ahh good catch! I had assumed they were still on ClickOnce.

Here is the cache for the blog post. It looks like they've switch to an MSI built with Advanced Installer.

I just used the /qb parameter to run the exe from the command line and it appeared to work. I'm not very experienced with silent installs and puppet, but I found some information here.

0 votes

Thanks Jeff,

>Have you seen this previous answer from Steve?

Yes, but I think the installer was changed since then, here's the post: http://blog.sourcetreeapp.com/2013/05/13/new-installer-updater-for-sourcetree-for-windows/

503 right now, unfortunately, but from Google search it goes:

13 mai 2013 - We've just changed our installer and auto-update system for SourceTree for Windows – up until now we've been using ClickOnce, which ...

So I think that ClickOnce is not used anymore, but I can't figure out what it has been replaced with either.

0 votes
Jeff Thomas
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 12, 2014

Nicolas,

Have you seen this previous answer from Steve?

Unfortunately we're limited by what ClickOnce can offer right now, and it doesn't have a good way of automating installs.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events