Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SourceTree says 'No url found for submodule path'

Cliff Spencer August 22, 2017

Every time I pull from github I see this

git -c diff.mnemonicprefix=false -c core.quotepath=false -c credential.helper=sourcetree submodule update --init

fatal: No url found for submodule path 'APP NAME' in .gitmodules

Completed with errors, see above

This started happening suddenly. The project has no submodules. This doesn't occur with command-line git, only with source tree. I'm on version 2.6.1 on MacOS 10.12.6

How do I resolve this error?

2 answers

1 vote
Ana Retamal
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 23, 2017

Hi Cliff, looks like you might have some .gitmodules directory somewhere within your repo. If you have no submodules, delete .gitmodules, and any references to submodules in .git/config.

I also found a couple of posts where users seem to have a similar issue, you can check their responses at No submodule mapping found in gitmodule for a path that's not a submodule and No submodule mapping found in gitmodules for path.

Let us know if that helped you!

Cheers,

Ana

Cliff Spencer August 23, 2017

Hi Ana, thanks for your reply. I should have mentioned that there is no .gitmodules folder present within .git nor any references to submodules within .git/config

I checked with the following commands:

bash-3.2$ cd .git

bash-3.2$ find . |grep odules

bash-3.2$ grep -i odules config

I'm curious that this only happens when using SourceTree and not when using the command-line tools.

Cliff Spencer August 23, 2017

Update: I found this!

bash-3.2$ git ls-files --stage | grep 160000

160000 b06580880c5eaf8b1564f74c30d595bc6a363a13 0 APPNAME

I performed 

bash-3.2$ git rm --cached APPNAME and the error was fixed. 

Like # people like this
Francis Paquin-Brien November 1, 2019

Cliff's solution worked for me too. Thanks Cliff!

0 votes
mikestafford November 3, 2022

I had this same problem -- it showed up suddenly, and I have no submodules (and no .gitmodules). Cliff's solution above did not work for me.

I found that (somehow) one of our developers had created and checked-in an empty folder in the root of the repo that shared the same name as the repo itself. ie, my repo is named "ISTE" and, somehow I ended up with the empty folder blah/ISTE/ISTE/ 

Git appeared to be interpreting that folder as a reference to the repo, creating some kind of recursive loop. Again, I have no idea how that folder was created, so I don't know how git was mislead... 

But, removing that folder from git resolved the issue for me. (To be specific, I first added a dummy file to the folder so that git would recognize an edit, and changed the name of the folder to try to decouple the weirdness; I committed and pushed those changes, then deleted the folder and dummy file and committed & pushed again. All was well after that.)

YMMV...

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events