Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SourceTree repeatedly losing track of index.lock

Simon Watson June 18, 2015

Every time I try to make a change in my branch, SourceTree creates an index.lock file in the .git directory, then refuses to make the change because an index.lock file exists. Deleting the lock file doesn't help, as SourceTree will just create it again. Any suggestions?

11 answers

0 votes
Mikel Kew August 10, 2018

I'm also seeing this VERY frequently in 2.7.6 (macOS 10.12.6). Has being occurring intermittently for quite a few versions now. Seems to be most common for me when the system is under high CPU load from other processes.

0 votes
emlynb April 18, 2018

I still see this on 2.7.1 on macOS very regularly. I think it's a race condition somewhere in source tree as sometimes it causes it and sometimes it can sort itself out.

I have had success with closing sourctree and deleting .git/index.lock from the command line

0 votes
antonytm March 5, 2018

Getting this in v2.4.7.0 on Win10 time to time.
SourceTree creates and removes git.lock file repeatedly. 

0 votes
Dune C January 14, 2018

Getting this in v2.4.7.0 on Win10. 

Edit: It started working again right after I posted this so I think it's an intermittent issue.

0 votes
swendrich December 22, 2017

Same here with 2.7. That really sucks! Atlassian please fix it. That would save my x-mas days.

0 votes
Thomas Vogelpohl October 28, 2017

I have the same issue with 2.6.3. 

It is annoying to delete index.lock by hand after every activity.

0 votes
Giancarlo Berner October 12, 2017

I just did an update to 2.6.3 and the index.lock issue is back again! It seems that Sourcetree creates the index.lock, then does the commit or whatever task you trigger, and at the end does not delete index.lock anymore. I manually have to delete index.lock every time I trigger an action. When will this be fixed?

0 votes
Wayne Tan December 1, 2016

Still a problem in v1.9.6.2, especially interactive rebase. Please vote on this issue to get someone working on it: https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/SRCTREEWIN-5639

0 votes
Gil Shapir November 13, 2015

Ditto - same exact issue.

0 votes
howellcc September 21, 2015

Ditto.  Let me know if anyone finds a solution.

0 votes
Steven A. July 16, 2015

i see the same thing after i tookthe sourcetree update.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events