cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SourceTree refresh all repositories status

d3bgger February 26, 2014

hello

I have a question for sourcetree.

Coming from tortoise svn, i'm used of seeing green checks in all my local repo folders, and rest assured that there is no change in all of the repositories i have checked out.

Now with git and sourcetree, i assumed that the left pane showing the list of all the cloned repositories, is getting refreshed (all of them) each time i press f5 (Not all the information of line diffs etc, just the indication of clean or not). But on the contrary only the currently open tab repository is getting refreshed.

So in other words, if i have cloned 50 repos, and want to be sure that i haven't forgot to commit or push anything over time, i have to open each of these repos in a tab to actually see the real status.

I'm i missing something here?

This seems tedius, and i wouldn't like the idea to install a shell extension just for that missing feature...

thanks in advance

3 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Seth
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 16, 2014

That fits with the desgn of Git/HG. They are designed to be local repositories that can push/pull from remotes. Unlike SVN, it is prefectly valid to have a Git deployment that doesn't have an origin at all, or to make significant use of local-only branches, or to have branches that track remotes other than origin. It would be a faulty assumption on Atlassian's part to assume that every branch should be tracking origin, even if you cloned a repo from there.

Additionally, it isn't required to have a master branch, that is just a common naming convention (unlike centralized versioning systems, which always have a "trunk").

Instead of assuming that Git is basically like SVN, but newer/cooler/better, you should read (or at least skim) the book (free, online) and see the foundational differences between the two.

0 votes
d3bgger March 14, 2014

another thing i noticed, is that if you clone an empty repository, and create the master branch and commit to it locally, there is nothing to remind you that you must also push to origin. In order to get a push reminder, there must be a branch in origin also!

0 votes
Seth
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 26, 2014

There is an option to automatically refresh remotes every X minutes. In Windows, this is in Tools > Options under the General tab. This will effect all bookmarked repositories.

Also, with Git there are two different states that were just one in SVN. A green check by the repo bookmark means that your working copy has no changes compared to whichever branch is checked out in your local repository. Differences from the remote repository are labelled with green arrows (up or down). A down arrow means you need to pull changes from remote, an up means you need to push changes to remote.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events