SourceTree "fatal: Authentication failed for..."

Jay Burgess January 23, 2017

Mac OSX El Capitan.  SourceTree 2.4.  I cloned some remote repos a few couple of weeks ago, and have been pulling my team's updates in SourceTree with no issue.  

Unfortunately, I had to change my password on the remote system over the weekend, and now when I pull from the SourceTree toolbar, I get "fatal: Authentication failed for..." errors.

I found that if I open a Terminal window for a given repo, and do "pull <repoName>", it asks for my new password once, and then works from the Terminal from that point on.  However, it still continues to fail from within SourceTree, even after re-starting SourceTree.

I cannot seem to figure out how to make SourceTree recognize my newly-entered password from the Terminal pull, or forget my previous one and ask me for the new one.   What am I missing?

4 answers

14 votes
Jay Burgess January 23, 2017

I just answered my own question.  There is a SourceTree Application password stored in the login keychain.  Deleting that caused SourceTree to prompt me for the new password.  Not sure how I missed it the first time I searched.

Ralph Croly January 25, 2017

thanks! this was driving me mad, and I hadnt even created a new password! not the most experienced mac user, thanks!

Like Mher Paronyan likes this
irinatari June 21, 2017

How do you delete that?

Like Mher Paronyan likes this
drloading November 4, 2017

this helped. thank you

Like WojtaniaA likes this
MPeloquin June 5, 2018

To delete it

• cmd+space and type "KeyChain Access",
  • You should find a key with the name like "gitlab.*.com Access Key for user". You can order by date modified to find it more easily.
  • Right click and delete.
Like # people like this
Mayank Jain June 25, 2018

Awesome!! it worked. Thanks a ton

Arildo Junior January 11, 2019

Finally, thank you.

seuntaylor October 2, 2019

Yes! That worked for me! I knew I was missing something.

1 vote
ChaseBowman March 30, 2020

How about for Windows?

0 votes
aayushkuma January 23, 2019

Thank You so much !

0 votes
Md Rashidul Hasan September 19, 2018

Thank you so much it worked for me. 

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders