Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SourceTree often becomes unresponsive when I try to commit

Deleted user August 29, 2016

About 25% of the time when I try to commit, SourceTree hangs.  It seems like it is just processing, but it never finishes even if I leave it a long time.  Killing it from Process Explorer and committing again has always worked;  I just have to type the commit message again.

Using SourceTree 1.9.6.1 on Windows 10.  Working copy is on my local drive, but it is set to use a Git repo on a mapped network drive (SMB, I think) which is set to be always available offline (so it is mirrored by Windows on my local drive).  I also consistently push changes to BitBucket.  I haven't yet tried committing without pushing to see if that helps.  

The SourceTree log file shows only one kind of error, but it shows up a lot (about 100 times already today).  I don't know for sure if it happens around the time that it hangs or not:

ERROR [2016-08-29 07:47:42,956] [34] [System.IO.FileSystemWatcher] [OnError] - RepoWatcher: Error 'Too many changes at once in directory:S:\System Control Schematic and PCB.'
ERROR [2016-08-29 07:51:07,081] [34] [System.IO.FileSystemWatcher] [OnError] - RepoWatcher: Error 'Too many changes at once in directory:S:\System Control Software\SystemControlOnJumbo\SystemControl.'

I just noticed that the paths in those error messages are not used for the commit I am trying to do;  the working copy is on C: and the Git repo is in S:\System Control Software\SystemControlGitRepo.  I do have SourceTree bookmarks for projects in the two directories that cause the error messages but I am not viewing those projects in SourceTree when it hangs, so it shouldn't need to try to update them.  If I do view those projects in SourceTree, they seem to display fine (it takes a few seconds, but not very long - they don't have many files).  

I don't really have a question, as restarting SourceTree and trying again isn't too much of a inconvenience, but I thought I might as well report the issue.  I would be glad to run other tests if it would help identify the root cause of the problem.

Steve

2 answers

0 votes
Deleted user August 30, 2016
0 votes
Deleted user August 29, 2016

I don't know if my issue is related to these reports or not:

I don't think it is related to https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/SRCTREEWIN-5326, that crash happens when they try to enter the commit message.  My happens after I enter the message, when I click the "Commit" button.

Steve

P.S.  I wasn't sure if I should create an issue for this or not.  I would be glad to if that is the best way to handle this kind of thing.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events