SourceTree losing saved passwords

Daniel Atkinson May 4, 2016

SourceTree keeps prompting me for my password for my Bitbucket account. I click the save password box and sign in. When I go into the Tools>Options>Authentication menu I can see my account has been added to the set of saved passwords, but after some period of time, sometimes 10 minutes and other times 30 seconds, I get another box prompting me for the same password again. Often this occurs when SourceTree is idling in the background and not actively doing anything. Looking at the authentication menu again I can see that the password and username have been removed from the saved passwords box. I'm using SourceTree 1.8.3 but this has been happening for a few iterations.

8 answers

2 votes
DimitriDewaele October 19, 2016

Temporary solution: disabled the option to check for remote updates.

Tools >> Options >> General >> 

image2016-10-19 14:54:27.png

Disadvantage: I have to update manually. (pull or fetch).

Remark: The same question: https://answers.atlassian.com/questions/276680

Robert Martin April 27, 2017

This was a lifesaver. Thank you.

1 vote
Ph0t0nX August 23, 2017

Holy cow this is the most annoying *#$%&#$%&!ing thing EVER!!  It's been doing it for 6+ months, several times a day it just decideds to forget the password even though under Options->Authentication->Saved Passwords I can clearly see it in there after entering it.  Everyone in my lab is having the same issue. We try to close SourceTree when we're not using it, but if you ever forget and leave it up for a few hours, grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr ANGER! lol!  WTF? Fix it already!!

0 votes
Joshua August 9, 2018

Does anyone have an alternate git GUI to use other than SourceTree on Windows? 

0 votes
Jogchem Andre Oord February 20, 2018

No reply from Atlassian? Not really what I would call "dedicating our support staff to focus on offering the same support you know and love via Atlassian Community instead." (https://blog.sourcetreeapp.com/2017/05/09/sourcetree-support-moving-to-atlassian-community/)

0 votes
DimitriDewaele October 17, 2016

I have the same problem for one account, while another account is stored correctly.
Strangely this account is working fine on another computer with SourceTree.
Both computers have the same SourceTree version: 1.9.6.1

Joshua August 9, 2018

same here, so annoying!

0 votes
Rodney Joyce July 31, 2016

I have the exact same issue - massively frustrating. The credentials disappear from the list and I am prompted to enter them again.

I have tried uinstalling Windows Git Cred. manager but they had no effect.

0 votes
Daniel Atkinson May 16, 2016

That sounds very similar to my issue but I dont have Git Credential Manager For Windows so maybe there is something else that is conflicting with both. I'm not sure what though.

0 votes
chaoley May 15, 2016

I'm having a strange issue with SourceTree on my laptop, working fine on my main machine, both running Win7. The SourceTree password manager seems to be getting into an argument with 'Git Credential Manager For Windows'.

The credential manager remembers nothing and the SourceTree manager remembers only the user name. They both pop every 10 minutes for auto check and whenever I need to pull or push.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events