SourceTree keeps reseting staged files with 1.9.6

Mark Lear August 5, 2016

After installing SourceTree 1.9.6 on windows 10 (not anniversary update) and I attempt to stage a file it always unstages all files (even if they were previously staged with the terminal). It seems to be attempting to stage, which is failing with an "Unable to create" on the .git/index.lock file as it thinks the file already exists. I have confirmed it does not exist.

12 answers

8 votes
Rodney
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 6, 2016

Hello,

I just encountered your problem of files unstaging in SourceTree 1.9.6 on windows 10 (with anniversary update).  My fix is downgrading to 1.9.5.  So if you need the fixes 1.9.6 provides then my answer won't be helpful sorry.

(Incidently my workaround on the crashing on start with 1.9.5 is to run SourceTree as administrator.)

Update:

I found out that using the "No staging" interface works but "Split view staging" doesn't.

Update2:

Version 1.9.6.1 seems to have addressed this problem

6 votes
jswigart August 7, 2016

I'm getting the same issue. Try to stage a file, and it errors out immediately with an error about the index.lock, and if I restart Sourcetree after deleting the index.lock file, sometimes Sourcetree removes and attempts to stage the entire local repository, resulting in a cascade of similar index.lock errors as it does whatever it is doing to all the files. There is no hung instance of git still running that justifies this error, and downgrading to 1.9.5 gets rid of the error. 1.9.6 seems outright broken.

5 votes
Hans Orbaan August 7, 2016

Can someone point to a previous version download? This issue is blocking me from working at the moment...

Answering my own question: https://www.sourcetreeapp.com/update/windowsupdates.txt

Links to all versions in that file.

Jim Van Tongerloo August 8, 2016

Thanks, does this work for you? 

Have the exact same problem on Windows 7

Hans Orbaan August 8, 2016

Yes, I removed 1.9.6.0 and installed 1.9.5.0: 

http://downloads.atlassian.com/software/sourcetree/windows/SourceTreeSetup_1.9.5.0.exe
ajmedway August 8, 2016

Having a boatload of issues myself with this version. I downloaded/tried to install 1.9.5.0 from the link above but I get error:

"A more recent version of SourceTree is already installed on this computer."

So not possible to revert to previous version. How can I get around this?

Just uninstall the 1.9.6.0 by the "uninstall a program" tab from the configuration panel.

ajmedway August 8, 2016

But will that wipe out all of my config/repos and bookmarks?!

No, it will not.

Jim Van Tongerloo August 8, 2016

Thanks, will try this evening.

1 vote
Erik Petterson August 8, 2016

Just updated to 1.9.6 this morning. Same problem. Totally unusable. How is there no testing going onbefore updates are shipped?

0 votes
jswigart August 13, 2016

Had to go back to 1.9.5 as well to fix the issue. Command line git was working fine with 1.9.6, so seems to be something with the app.

0 votes
Erik Petterson August 8, 2016

downgrading to version 1.9.5 fixed this issue.. alternately switching to gitkraken would fix the issue cheeky

0 votes
Max_Bergmann August 8, 2016

Same here. Couldn't stage anything without an error on Win7 with 1.9.6 . Going back to 1.9.5 "fixed" it for now.

0 votes
Jim Bacon August 8, 2016

Same issue. Windows 7. Using git in the console works fine.

0 votes
Arash Khodadadi August 8, 2016

Can you please have some integration tests or testers to prevent such major issues?!

I cannot believe you never tested staging a file and released a new version!!

0 votes
gerald.wilborn August 8, 2016

Same problem on Windows 10 with v1.9.6.  Maddening.

0 votes
Tobias Abstreiter August 8, 2016

1.9.6 not usable under Windows 7 Enterprise. No difference between internal and external git.

0 votes
thvig August 7, 2016

Windows 7 also

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events