SourceTree hangs on startup

Aaron Wright November 15, 2015

Whenever I startup SourceTree it just hangs. All I get is a white window with a title bar. After some time it becomes unresponsive. I'm using Windows 10. I've uninstall and reinstalled SourceTree several times, but nothing changes.

This is such a vague problem, that my question is really, how can I start to debug SourceTree so I can at least figure out where to start looking?

5 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Aaron Wright November 19, 2015

Turns out I needed to uninstall and then delete the %LOCALAPPDATA%\Atlassian folder. Then, after reinstalling, SourceTree was much happier. So something in that folder was holding it up.

1 vote
Tom André Vibeto November 18, 2015

Logfile is at ${LOCALAPPDATA}\Atlassian\SourceTree\sourcetree-details.log , and contains nothing. Hows yours?

I'm having trouble opening Sourcetree after i updated to version 1.6.23, and is also using Win10. But i don't even get a white window. I will try to downgrade.

Aaron Wright November 19, 2015

Thanks for pointing me at the right folder. Just needed to delete it.

0 votes
Dan Puza December 15, 2022

Sourcetree started hanging for me at the startup splash screen today.  This was the fix, to delete the Atlassian folder and reinstall.

Dan Puza December 15, 2022

Uninstalling alone didn't work without also deleting the folder.  Until deleting it, the install program hanged the same way at the splash screen.

0 votes
Joe Miglietta April 16, 2019

Application freezes when a connection to BitBucket host can not be established.

0 votes
Wolfgang Kaiser January 9, 2017

Same thing happend to my 'Source Tree', hangs every time on startup.  Using the latest release (can't tell which release it is since the app always hangs).  deleted %LOCALAPPDATA%\Atlassian however, the app (after reinstall) still hangs after i re-added my repos.  Turns out deleting %LOCALAPPDATA%\Atlassian will remove all app settings (repos etc).  i will try going back to a really old version (that i know worked) and if that doesn't work i will look for some other tool, this is a bit too disruptive for me. 

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events