Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SourceTree external diff crashes Git with libiconv-2.dll missing

Michael Labbe April 4, 2015

Various commands, including external diffing crashes the Git executable.  The commands don't run. The popup dialog is:

git.exe - System Error.  "The program can't start because libiconv-2.dll is missing from your computer. Try reinstalling the program to fix this problem."

I have tried configuring SourceTree to use the embedded and system Git with no differences.  System Git is Msysgit 1.9.5.

5 answers

4 votes
Eduard Ragimov (underscor3e) December 28, 2015

HI. My solution was simple:

1. Open the "Option" window.
  2. Select "Git".
  3. Than "Use System Git".
  4. And press OK button.
  • Screenshot (46).png
TooLz October 20, 2016

This fixed it for me smile Thanks, that was bugging me for like a week.

0 votes
alex75 December 12, 2015

I had the same problems and I tried all the possibilities copying the dll all around. SourceTree version 1.6.25. I never changed the embedded/system Git version option. I think it happens because I unistalled old Git (version 1.8.3) with the curent one (I also have TortoiseGit correctly installed). Now my Git is 2.6.3. At the end I solved the problem with this: Tools >> Options >> Git >> Update embedded Git. It pass from 1.9.5 to 2.6.1. and now it works. Alessandro

0 votes
OptimisticMonkey April 6, 2015

BTW - http://stackoverflow.com/questions/3431361/git-for-windows-the-program-cant-start-because-libiconv2-dll-is-missing fixes it....

But what is the point of Embedded Git in SourceTree if it relies on external git?

0 votes
OptimisticMonkey April 6, 2015

This has started happening for me as well...

Basically cannot use SourceTree on Windows anymore...  I have reinstalled several times, configured to use Embedded git and not Embedded... Reinstalled git....

Nothing helps.

Git, Githuib both work..... but SourceTree just gives error

Completely broken.

Not sure what else to try.,

sad

0 votes
Seth
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 6, 2015

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events