SourceTree doesn't install on Win10

PA_Dion September 30, 2017

WINDOWS 10

• 2017-09 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1703 for x64-based Systems (KB4038788)

Google Chrome

• 61.0.3163.100 (Official Build) (64-bit)

SourceTree

• SourceTreeSetup-2.3.1.0

STEPS:

Download SourceTree for windows

Open downloads folder

Doubleclick to install

The SourceTree logo presents for a couple of seconds, then goes away and nothing else happens.

I then tried Right Clicking and Run As Administrator and received the same thingt 

3 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
PA_Dion October 9, 2017

This resolved it for me as a workaround.

Dictionary file blocks Sourcetree 2.3.1 from starting up

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/SRCTREEWIN-7898

Description

"...once when I was using Sourcetree v2.1.11, every time I start there is comfirn dialog pop up said some dictionary file is invalid and should delete or not, and I chose not for then.

today I update my Sourcetree to version 2.3.1 and the app just can not start up.

somehow I found a solution: uninstall the version 2.3.1 and reinstall v2.1.11 and start it up, the dictionary file thing dialog shows up again and I chose YES to delete that file and then install the version 2.3.1 and it starts up normally.  ..."

0 votes
Farshid Tehrani-Kia December 8, 2017

@Ana Retamal  I didn't follow the accepted solution. I have the same issue as Dion described, do you have any updates or solution? I download the SourceTreeSetup-2.3.5.0 and it can't install on windows 10!!!  any thought? 

PA_Dion December 8, 2017

This worked for me...

"...uninstall the version 2.3.1 and reinstall v2.1.11 and start it up, the dictionary file thing dialog shows up again and I chose YES to delete that file and then install the version 2.3.1 and it starts up normally..."

PA_Dion December 8, 2017

This resolved it for me as a workaround.

Dictionary file blocks Sourcetree 2.3.1 from starting up

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/SRCTREEWIN-7898

Description

"...once when I was using Sourcetree v2.1.11, every time I start there is comfirn dialog pop up said some dictionary file is invalid and should delete or not, and I chose not for then.

today I update my Sourcetree to version 2.3.1 and the app just can not start up.

somehow I found a solution: uninstall the version 2.3.1 and reinstall v2.1.11 and start it up, the dictionary file thing dialog shows up again and I chose YES to delete that file and then install the version 2.3.1 and it starts up normally.  ..."

Farshid Tehrani-Kia December 8, 2017

But I didn't see any confirm dialog. The process that happens to me is like "

Open downloads folder

Doubleclick to install

The SourceTree logo presents for a couple of seconds, then goes away and nothing else happens.

I then tried Right Clicking and Run As Administrator and received the same thing." 

PA_Dion December 8, 2017

For me, once I dug up the older v2.1.11 and installed that version instead of the current, I received the dialogue box, then answered it "YES" to delete the file.

When I then later went back to install the current build, it worked, where previously, it had not.

From there it worked for me.

0 votes
Ana Retamal
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 2, 2017

Hi Dion! Can you navigate to the config file location (C:\Users\{USERNAME}\AppData\Local\Atlassian\SourceTree.exe_{RANDOM_GUID}\2.3.1.0\user.config), find the following line:

<setting name="AutomaticallyCleanUpDictionaryFiles" serializeAs="String"> <value>True</value> </setting>

and make sure that value is set to True?

If that doesn't work for you, please send us the log so we can have a look.

Cheers,

Ana

PA_Dion October 2, 2017

I can follow that trail until "C:\...\AppData\Local\Atlassian\SourceTree" and then I only have the following.

SourceTree-TS.jpg

Here is the text from the "sourcetree" log below

ERROR [2017-09-26 17:52:01,424] [1] [SourceTree.App] [.ctor] - finish EnsureSquirrelExecutionStubIsCopied
ERROR [2017-09-26 17:52:01,937] [1] [SourceTree.App] [OnStartup] - Failed to start
System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
at SourceTree.Notifications.NotificationsManager.SetOwner(NotificationDialogWindow notificationWindow)
at SourceTree.Notifications.NotificationsManager.ShowNotificationDialog[T](NotificationDialogWindow notificationWindow, Tuple`2 customAction, VistaTaskDialogIcon icon)
at SourceTree.Notifications.NotificationsManager.ShowNotificationDialog[T](String title, String message, Tuple`2 customAction, String cancelLabel, String suppressionSetting, Action`1 suppressionChangedAction, Object contentControl, String contentCommandLabel, Action contentAction)
at SourceTree.Notifications.NotificationsManager.ShowNotificationDialogWithYesConfirmation(String title, String message, String details)
at SourceTree.Configuration.WpfSpellCheckerPreFlightCheck.Run()
at SourceTree.AppRoot.RunPreFlightChecks()
at SourceTree.AppRoot.OnStartup(StartupEventArgs e)
at SourceTree.App.OnStartup(StartupEventArgs e)
ERROR [2017-09-26 17:56:50,083] [1] [SourceTree.App] [.ctor] - finish EnsureSquirrelExecutionStubIsCopied
ERROR [2017-09-26 17:56:50,207] [1] [SourceTree.App] [OnStartup] - Failed to start
System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
at SourceTree.Notifications.NotificationsManager.SetOwner(NotificationDialogWindow notificationWindow)
at SourceTree.Notifications.NotificationsManager.ShowNotificationDialog[T](NotificationDialogWindow notificationWindow, Tuple`2 customAction, VistaTaskDialogIcon icon)
at SourceTree.Notifications.NotificationsManager.ShowNotificationDialog[T](String title, String message, Tuple`2 customAction, String cancelLabel, String suppressionSetting, Action`1 suppressionChangedAction, Object contentControl, String contentCommandLabel, Action contentAction)
at SourceTree.Notifications.NotificationsManager.ShowNotificationDialogWithYesConfirmation(String title, String message, String details)
ERROR [2017-09-26 18:04:02,775] [1] [SourceTree.App] [.ctor] - finish EnsureSquirrelExecutionStubIsCopied
ERROR [2017-09-26 18:04:05,004] [1] [SourceTree.App] [OnStartup] - Failed to start

PA_Dion October 2, 2017

If I follow this path...

C:\Users\...\AppData\Local\Atlassian\SourceTree.exe_Url_3rqrv0jj2kuth1c01slr4bfdolgb0gsv\2.3.1.0

There are the following files...

• Startup (PROFILE File)
  • user (XML Configuration File)
    • <?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
      <configuration>
      <userSettings>
      <SourceTree.Properties.Settings>
      <setting name="AllowModifyConfigFiles" serializeAs="String">
      <value>True</value>
      </setting>
      <setting name="LastOpenTabIndex" serializeAs="String">
      <value>-1</value>
      </setting>
      <setting name="AnalyticsHasAgreed" serializeAs="String">
      <value>True</value>
      </setting>
      <setting name="NPSAnonUId" serializeAs="String">
      <value>00254519-95a7-4b4d-a77e-1ed328419b20</value>
      </setting>
      </SourceTree.Properties.Settings>
      </userSettings>
      </configuration>
PA_Dion October 3, 2017

Anyone have any ideas?

PA_Dion October 7, 2017

I attached the log text above an no response yet.  Is there a way I an flag t his anew?

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events