SourceTree does not start anymore (Null pointer)

SourceTree does not start anymore.

I redownloaded the newest version from the website, but it suffers the same problem.

The log file says:

ERROR [2017-09-28 09:56:32,317] [1] [SourceTree.App] [.ctor] - finish EnsureSquirrelExecutionStubIsCopied
ERROR [2017-09-28 09:56:32,443] [1] [SourceTree.App] [OnStartup] - Failed to start
System.NullReferenceException: Der Objektverweis wurde nicht auf eine Objektinstanz festgelegt.
   bei SourceTree.Notifications.NotificationsManager.SetOwner(NotificationDialogWindow notificationWindow)
   bei SourceTree.Notifications.NotificationsManager.ShowNotificationDialog[T](NotificationDialogWindow notificationWindow, Tuple`2 customAction, VistaTaskDialogIcon icon)
   bei SourceTree.Notifications.NotificationsManager.ShowNotificationDialog[T](String title, String message, Tuple`2 customAction, String cancelLabel, String suppressionSetting, Action`1 suppressionChangedAction, Object contentControl, String contentCommandLabel, Action contentAction)
   bei SourceTree.Notifications.NotificationsManager.ShowNotificationDialogWithYesConfirmation(String title, String message, String details)
   bei SourceTree.Configuration.WpfSpellCheckerPreFlightCheck.Run()
   bei SourceTree.AppRoot.RunPreFlightChecks()
   bei SourceTree.AppRoot.OnStartup(StartupEventArgs e)
   bei SourceTree.App.OnStartup(StartupEventArgs e)

1 answer

This widget could not be displayed.

Hi Marc, this is a known issue, they were talking about it on this thread. To solve it, navigate to the config file location (C:\Users\{USERNAME}\AppData\Local\Atlassian\SourceTree.exe_{RANDOM_GUID}\2.3.1.0\user.config) and find the following line:

<setting name="AutomaticallyCleanUpDictionaryFiles" serializeAs="String"> <value>True</value> </setting>

Make sure that value is set to True.

Let us know if it worked for you!

Cheers :)

Ana

Hi Ana,

thanks for the pointer!

This setting was not specified in the configuration file at all, hence the NullReferenceException. Maybe a default value should be used in this case :)

Well, I can confirm that after adding this setting, the NullReferenceException no longer occurs and SourceTree starts successfully again.

Thanks

Marc

I'm glad to hear that, Marc! Have a nice day :D

Ana

I had the same Issue. After adding the missing setting in the config file, SourceTree started as usual! Thank's

Suggest an answer

Atlassian Summit 2018

Meet the community IRL

Atlassian Summit is an excellent opportunity for in-person support, training, and networking.

Learn more
Community showcase
Published May 30, 2018 in Sourcetree

Tip from the team: configuring Git or Mercurial in Sourcetree

Supported Platforms macOS Windows To make using Sourcetree as simple yet powerful as possible we embed (bundle) dependencies such as Git, Git LFS, and Mercurial. We strive to keep these...

724 views 1 3
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you