SourceTree crashes on startup and install

Jar_L August 16, 2017

Hello.

SourceTree crashes on startup and when I try to reinstall it.

After uninstall I removed appdata/local/atlassian and appdata/local/sourcetree folders as I read this helped someone but still can not launch the installer. All I see on startup is the message written lower. 

Does anyone know is there a way to make SourceTree work?

Here's the message

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: CLR20r3
Problem Signature 01: SourceTree.exe
Problem Signature 02: 2.1.10.0
Problem Signature 03: 598c9093
Problem Signature 04: System.Management
Problem Signature 05: 4.0.30319.34209
Problem Signature 06: 53489a06
Problem Signature 07: 24e
Problem Signature 08: 104
Problem Signature 09: PSZQOADHX1U5ZAHBHOHGHLDGIY4QIXHX
OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.1
Locale ID: 1049
Additional Information 1: 99bb
Additional Information 2: 99bb863f0b7b214c70627b5628b4ae7c
Additional Information 3: e2b4
Additional Information 4: e2b4228e3acd57322db514831aa6a47a

5 answers

2 votes
Ana Retamal
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 16, 2017

Hi! Can you try a clean install? The steps are as follows:

1. Wipe SourceTree preferences
  2. Uninstall SourceTree (if it shows on the App&Features list)
  3. Backup then delete the directory below before proceeding with next step
    • Navigate to C:\Users\<UserName>\AppData\Local and delete SourceTree & SourceTree-Settings folder
    • Navigate to C:\Users\<UserName>\AppData\Local\Atlassian and delete all SourceTree Files/Folder.
  4. Download SourceTree and install it. 

Also, let us know which Windows version are you using and which version of SourceTree are you trying to install. 

Cheers,

Ana

Jar_L August 17, 2017

Hello!

I've done everything you wrote as cleaning ST preferences folders and uninstalling it.

But it crashes with the same mistake when I try to run the installer.

I have Win7 64bit. Probably it's system, not bitbucket problem.

ophilbinbriscoe September 29, 2017

You aren't alone @Jar_L, I've been experiencing the same problem for months. They recommended a complete re-install of .NET, which I did, but it didn't help at all. Unfortunately, it seems that they only respond to the initial post, when I tried to get further help I got no replies.

Please let me know if you've found a way around this.

Like X-Bruce likes this
David Bruce October 9, 2017

I also have the same issue and have had to revert to version 1.7. I have removed all relevant files and registry entries and the installer still crashes every time it is run with an entry in the log file saying "Failed to Start" with no reason which is not very helpful.

If anyone does find out what the issue is or when this issue has been fixed please let me know.

Like X-Bruce likes this
gcohn March 27, 2018

Deleting .\AppData\Local\Atlassian worked for me.

Has anyone else seen this associated with odd directory issues? I was doing some final debugging/verification of a Python module with SourceTree open when SourceTree crashed, the module directory was empty. Afterwards I couldn't get Windows to clear the directory.

Like alvarorivoir likes this
Paul Wilkinson August 13, 2018

yep, that worked for me too

CrazyTim October 24, 2018

Also try restarting your PC after uninstalling and deleting all files.

John Bedell November 28, 2018

Tried all of the options listed here, including:

- Deleting AppData and ProgramData after Uninstall, including the various suggestions of just deleting a few files.

- Rebooting after deleting, but before re-installing

- Starting as Administrator

- Tried installing 4 different versions: 1.6.5, 1.9.6, 2.6.10 and 3.0.8... the 1.xs install, but then crash on startup,  the other 2 crash during install and there is nothing in the log.

- After many, many attempts, I also deleted all entries in the registry that referred to SourceTree.  Still no luck.

I'm running Windows 7, 64-bit, SP1. 

I've had some version of SourceTree running on this machine for 8 years until today, the latest version that I was using was 1.9.7.  And I had used it as recently as 3 months ago.  No idea why this suddenly cropped up.

Like Jar_L likes this
0 votes
Kenneth Henson September 29, 2021

Okay, this mess cost me half a day to fix it. lets start with why it is happening. It happened because of updates to Sourcetree. They did these to start forcing people to move to SSH file transfers. The Fix: install an old version of Sourcetree from 2018, and login from your bitbucket account, then update Sousetree to the current version from inside Sourcetree, and go to Github. There create, or refresh your access token and then go back into Soursetree and add an account to your Authentication and attach it to Github, with Oauth. That will prompt you to login to Github, once that is done it will start working, and let you connect to Github. Why they made it so difficult is anyone's guess. In my opinion it is just plain bad customer service to make things so user unfriendly.

0 votes
Matthew Seman October 22, 2020

If you've tried deleting the Atlassian directories under <user>\AppData\Local\ and are still experiencing this issue then make sure to check the <user>\AppData\Roaming\Atlassian directory as well.  Blow everything in that directory away as well. It seems to store some account information in that location which upon loading seems to crash the application.  

Eugene Rakhlin December 3, 2020

Thank you very much. The <user>/AppData/Roaming/Atlassian was my missing link.

The final list to force the reinstall with User Setup:

1. Uninstall SourceTree app

2. Delete folder <user>/AppData/Local/Atlassian

3. Delete folder <user>/AppData/Local/SourceTree

4. Delete folder <user>/AppData/Roaming/Atlassian

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Download and install Sourcetree with User Setup

Like Roberto Calvà likes this
0 votes
dstrube0 November 4, 2019

I was experiencing this problem today and I found this:

https://confluence.atlassian.com/sourcetreekb/sourcetree-crashes-on-startup-831655339.html

In short, I went to here:

C:\Users\<User>\AppData\Local\Atlassian\SourceTree.exe_<random_string>\<version_number>

and renamed "user.config" to "_user.config" (because I didn't see anything amiss when I opened the config file), and now I can open Sourcetree without it crashing.

burnout156 February 5, 2020

error.pngit's not work and this is my error

0 votes
Jar_L November 28, 2018

Thank you for the discussion, I've tried many ways, but only could install Sourcetree again after had reinstalled Windows completely.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events