Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SourceTree crash - "System.IO.IOException: The file exists."

niksudan February 24, 2015

I've been using SourceTree for half a year now - it's great. I'm running Windows 8.1, had version 1.5.2.0 and had no problems with it until now.

On 21st Feb as I was minding my own gits, Source Tree failed to open. No window would pop up or anything - the application would start to open, and then close.

Restarted my machine and tried again, but it still persisted. I ran the repair tool and eventually removed it, then reinstalled it, but it still wouldn't open. I removed it again and also removed the AppData folder. SourceTree opened this time and I was able to communicate with Bitbucket and open working copies of my git repositories.

However, when I go to open up a repository (tree view), the application crashes again with the same error. This is very puzzling.

Here's what happens currently (version 1.6.14.0):

sourcetree bug.gif

The log file outputs the following each time;

2015-02-24T19:12:14: Fatal error: 
System.IO.IOException: The file exists.

2015-02-24T19:12:14: Stack trace:
at System.IO.__Error.WinIOError(Int32 errorCode, String maybeFullPath)
at System.IO.Path.InternalGetTempFileName(Boolean checkHost)
at System.Windows.Input.Cursor.LoadFromStream(Stream cursorStream)
at System.Windows.Controls.GridViewColumnHeader.GetCursor(Int32 cursorID)
at System.Windows.Controls.GridViewColumnHeader.get_SplitCursor()
at System.Windows.Controls.GridViewColumnHeader.HookupGripperEvents()

... (Full stack trace)

I'm horrendous with git on command line, and don't want to have to move to another GUI. Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

1 answer

0 votes
Seth
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 24, 2015

A few things to try:

1) Stop using Tree View. It's known to have some issues.

2) On the nothing to commit screen, instead of closing the repo, go to the top dropdown, and select something other than "PENDING FILES". Currently there is nothing to display because you don't have any uncommitted changes.

3) Search for bugs relating to SourceTree for Windows crashes on jira.atlassian.com. If none seem to apply, submit a new bug.

niksudan February 24, 2015

Thanks for the reply. Looks like someone posted this bug 8 hours ago on Jira - https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/SRCTREEWIN-3020. I guess I'll be watching it for a while.

Nigel Brine March 12, 2015

Need to clean out your %temp% it has over 65535 files, and developers should avoid use of System.IO.Path.InternalGetTempFileName.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events