Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SourceTree complaining about older versions (no longer there...)

mauvia May 11, 2017

I installed version 2.0.20.1 on Windows 7.

I unistalled older versions.

At  start Source Tree complains that...

The following installs were found

1.8.2 -(C:\Program Files (x86)\Atlassian\Source Tree\)
1.8.2.11 - (C:\Program Files (x86)\Atlassian\Source Tree\)
1.8.2.3 - (C:\Program Files (x86)\Atlassian\Source Tree\)
1.8.3 - (C:\Program Files (x86)\Atlassian\Source Tree\)
1.9.5.0 - (C:\Program Files (x86)\Atlassian\Source Tree\)
1.9.6.1 - (C:\Program Files (x86)\Atlassian\Source Tree\)

Actually, I no longer have that \Atlassian\ directory on my PC, in that position....

Apart from that, ST is working fine.

How can I stop ST complaining ?

Thanks

Maurizio

4 answers

0 votes
Kelly Starr May 14, 2017

Launcher told me I had 2 previous versions.

Went to Add/Remove programs and there was only 1 option for SourceTree 1.9. Uninstalled.

Launcher tells me I still have one previous version remaining:

1.9.6.1 - (C:\Program Files (x86)\Atlassian\Source Tree\)

There are registry entries under:

Computer
HKEY_USERS
S-1-5-21--##########--##########-etc
SOFTWARE
BugSplat
SourceTree_v1
SourceTree

I assume this is where the launcher is looking to determin if there are previous versions.

Interestingly, when I ran the uninstaller, it seems to have run twice.  The event log shows the following 2 events, 2X each, one after the other. Possibly it was supposed to run for each version?

Log Name: Application
Source: MsiInstaller
Event ID: 11724
Description:
Product: SourceTree_1.9 -- Removal completed successfully.

Log Name: Application
Source: MsiInstaller
Event ID: 1034
Description:
Windows Installer removed the product. Product Name: SourceTree_1.9. Product Version: 1.9.13.7. Product Language: 2057. Manufacturer: Atlassian. Removal success or error status: 0.

Both logs are identical aside from their execution time, 

There are also reg keys refering to the program files location still located in the CLASSES / sourcetree and UserID_Classes / sourcetree sections.  Plus the SourceTree folder itself is still sitting there in my program files (x86) folder.

I'm not really comfortable manually deleting the keys OR just ticking the box to make the message go away, I'd rather it be uninstalled properly, but I guess that's not possible at this point. Hopefully they can fix it for people that haven't used it yet.

0 votes
Ana Retamal
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 12, 2017

Hi Maurizio! It could be that the uninstall hasn't cleared all the registry settings, have you rebooted your system to make sure the uninstall was complete? 

That dialog is shown when 2.0.20.1 runs and it found registry entries referring to prior versions, if you confirm you have uninstalled those, then you can safely check the 'Don't ask me again' option and you won't be prompted with that message again.

Cheers :)

Ana

mauvia May 12, 2017

Thanks. Yes I checked the "don't ask me again" option and I do not sse the warning any longer. That's enough, anyway. Thanks to all of you.

Maurizio

Ana Retamal
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 15, 2017

Glad to hear that, Maurizio! If this helped you, you can mark this answer as accepted so other users that come to the Community with this same issue will find the solution.

Regards,

Ana

0 votes
Todor Georgiev May 12, 2017

Version 2.0.20.1 is installed in AppData\Local\SourceTree\app-2.0.20.1 not in Program Files. I opened a question why. "Why version 2.0.20.1 is not installed in Program Files?" use the search as it is not allowed to include a link pointing to the community :)

0 votes
V V May 12, 2017

In windows 10 I had a similar issue.

Turned out that previous version updates weren't removing older versions correctly and those left some traces and showed up under installed programs.

In windows 10 I went to Control Panel\Programs\Programs and Features
And removed every SourceTree instance (including 2.0 0 - unsure if needed to remove)

After that I installed again and no complaint was shown.

Maybe it'll help you...

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events