SourceTree commit author change/update

Patrick eHawaii March 15, 2013

In SourceTree, how do I update the author that shows in the Author field of the commit UI? it always seems to revert back to a name & email that i don't recall inputting.

2 answers

1 accepted

21 votes
Answer accepted
KieranA
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 17, 2013

Hi Patrick,

There are two places this could be happening. Firstly you have a global user details setting in SourceTree. This can be found in the SourceTree menu then "Preferences" (or Cmd+,) and you'll see at the top which user details are used.

If these are correct then there are repository-level settings instead allowing you to override the global settings per-repository. You can find these by going to either the "Repository" menu (when the repo window is open) and hitting "Repository Settings" or clicking the "Settings" button on the toolbar of the repository window on the right hand side. Click on the "Advanced" tab and you'll see some further author details. If the checkbox "Use global user settings" is turned off then it'll be using those author details instead.

Hope that helps!

Patrick eHawaii March 17, 2013

Thank you for your response! This helped, though I should mention...

I checked both settings, and both showed identical author name & email, but only when I uncheck "Use global user setting" does the commit author change as expected. And, in order for the "Use global user setting" to work when checked (even though both showed the same info), I needed to edit the Default user info and just re-enter the same info.

Thanks again!

Like # people like this
David Scherer April 22, 2014

I can confirm this is the case. Version 1.5.2.0 of SourceTree.

You have to clear the "Default User Information" save, then re-type and save before it will update and correctly use this for commits on Repos that are set to use the default info.

Like David G likes this
zenyuk January 12, 2016

Can confirm this behavior on SourceTree version 1.7.0.32059

Scott Davis February 15, 2017

Issue still exists in 1.9.10.0.  Glad for the workaround mentioned by David. I had to delete my email address from the Default User Information field, apply, open, type in same email address as appeared there before, apply. Now the commit dialog shows the correct info.

Anthony Gibbs August 15, 2017

Thanks Scott. I had the same issue with 2.0.20.1, and your suggested workaround fixed the problem for me too.

dhenrybitbucket February 19, 2018

Can confirm - still happening in the version immediately prior to 2.7.1.  I applied the fix concurrent with upgrading, so I can't say if this still exists in 2.7.1.

Like Michael_Minutelli likes this
dardandemiri March 2, 2018

I can confirm too, it is still happening my version is: 2.4.8.0
What an annoying bug !!! :@ 

Certus_Desenv2 April 13, 2018

Thanks David Scherer,
I got it with your help.

Frank M. Brown June 15, 2018

This issue is currently happening in version 2.5.5 also.

oksana_tvori July 4, 2018

Still an issue in 2.6.9. Will it be fixed!?!

Yousof August 15, 2018

2.6.10.0 has the same issue. That is not fun

Dean Faizal August 27, 2018

deleted

RAIS SHAIKH October 30, 2018

In my case ExDev who handed-over this computer to me, his ID PW was there as global. I entered mine one and checked use globally. And it worked.

itisiyke December 4, 2018

v 3.0.12, still an issue

Like ssemyan likes this
ivnnv December 10, 2018

Almost 6 years later and this stills an issue on 2.7.6 macOS.
Need to untick "use global user settings" to manually type name/email on each repo settings :D

Quan Tran April 10, 2019

I also faced this issue with v 3.0.17.

Now 7 years later, this issue has not been fixed. Bravo !

Dean Faizal April 11, 2019

Just forget it and move on to GitKraken: https://www.gitkraken.com

Like David G likes this
David G September 6, 2019

3.2.6 is still broken.  I looked everywhere I could think of to try to see where it's being cached, but to no avail.  @David Scherer 's method worked for me.  Going to bite the bullet and buy GitKraken before my next project.

Maik Wandrei December 11, 2019

Had incorrect author set in my commits too on Version 3.2.6. Unchecking the "Use global settings" checkbox under the advanced repository settings worked for me. Not sure if this is related to the crash on commit issue, when no user.name and user.email is set in git settings.

Michael Reiff May 12, 2020

Behaviour still valid in 3.3.8

Tommy April 14, 2021

Still same behaviour in 3.4.4

1 vote
seesharp December 9, 2020

You can use command prompt to fix it:

$ git config user.name "John Doe" $ git config user.email "john@doe.org"

For Globally you can do that by:

$ git config --global user.name "John Doe" $ git config --global user.email "john@doe.org"

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events