Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SourceTree can't amend last commit

DmitriM August 4, 2012

Hello,

When I commit to a mercurial repository, SourceTree commit window doesn't have the checkbox for amending the last commit.

How can I amend the last commit?

Regards,

Dmitri

1 answer

1 accepted

4 votes
Answer accepted
stevestreeting
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 4, 2012

Mecurial doesn't actually have the 'amend commit' feature, but it has another feature which you can use.

In Mercurial, you can 'strip' commits, which SourceTree exposes in the log view context menu. If you right-click a commit and choose 'Strip from here', it will destroy that commit at all of its children. However, if you check the box 'Do not modify working copy', you can keep all the changes, and they will become uncommited changes which you can then commit again. So this is similar to the idea of 'amend last commit' if you use it on the latest commit and check the 'Do not modify working copy' box (very important!), then commit again, although Mercurial does this a bit differently.

DmitriM August 4, 2012

Thank you for the answer. I agree what you suggest would work. However, mercurial actually does support amend. Here's a quote from online help for hg commit command:

The --amend flag can be used to amend the parent of the working directory

with a new commit that contains the changes in the parent in addition to

those currently reported by "hg status", if there are any.

Perhaps, internally it indeed strips the parent commit and commits the combined changes of the parent commit and working directory, but it doesn't matter much for me what's behind the scene.

I assumed SourceTree would be able to do the same without me having to do two operations (strip and commit) instead of one (amend parent commit), but, apparently, it's not.

stevestreeting
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 4, 2012

Ah OK, this appears to be a new feature in hg 2.2, it wasn't supported before that. We still support system Mercurial versions prior to 2.2 but we may add this option in future then.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events