SourceTree Terminal does not recognise git after git upgrade

James Clancy October 13, 2015

After upgrading git from version 1.9 which worked fine with SourceTree, to the current version of git 2.6.1, and opening the Git Bash Terminal from the link in the SourceTree toolbar, the terminal does not recognise any git commands. Typining "git status" gives the response...

sh: git: command not found.

I have tried uninstalling SourceTree, uninstalling git, re-installing git and then re-installing SourceTree to no avail. Same behaviour. Git Flow has also stopped working.

I opted for gitbash to be the main terminal editor which apparently does not need to change the PATH environment variable - but even so it still cannot see git as if git is not on its path. Also SourceTree Options for git are set to use System Git. The UI displays my branches OK and UI actions seem to work. It's just that the Terminal is broken.

Any help appreciated.

2 answers

0 votes
Todd Aspeotis October 18, 2015

When installing Git for Windows, opt to allow it to modify your PATH. (The second of three options, not the one to add Git and *nix tools.)

0 votes
Seth
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 13, 2015

"I opted for gitbash to be the main terminal editor" - How were you given this option? Are you confident that the Terminal button is actually launching gitbash?

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events