Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SourceTree Stopped Working on Windows 10

Mark Wright September 20, 2017

I have searched the community for a similar issue I am having but did not find any like the problem I am having.

I am using Windows 10

My SorceTree stopped working. When I run it SourceTree nothing happens (no error message, no screen, nothing). I have tried reinstalling SourceTree by first uninstalling the program. Then deleting the Users\<user>\AppData\Local\SourceTree folder and the Users\<user>\AppData\Local\Atlassian\SourceTree folders. When I run the install I do not see any screens but notice it does put a shortcut on my desktop and recreates the folders in the \Users\<user>\AppData\Local folder and the \Users\<user\AppData\Local\Atlassian folders. When I try to run SourceTree after the install nothing happens

4 answers

1 accepted

3 votes
Answer accepted
minnsey
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 21, 2017

Hi there is a fix on its way, but for now there is a workaround described here:

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/SRCTREEWIN-7898

Mark Wright September 21, 2017

This solved my issue...thanks

Deleted user September 21, 2017

Same issue here. Win 10 install was working fine when I shut down yesterday and fails to launch this morning. Uninstall, but then current installer won't run (well, it creates some files but nothing ever shows up and what it creates also won't run).

This workaround didn't help.

I tired a few recent versions, and finally 2.1.10.0 will install and run.

Any idea what caused this?

4 votes
Dmytro Vasyliuk
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 20, 2017

Which version of Sourcetree are you using?

Dmytro Vasyliuk
Atlassian Team
September 20, 2017

Additional info might help us to solve the issue. Could you check the log of Sourcetree? 

Here is the link how to find sourcetree log file:

https://confluence.atlassian.com/sourcetreekb/sourcetree-logfile-location-675384748.html

Mark Wright September 20, 2017

I'm using SourceTree version 2.3.1.0

Here is the contents of the log for the day I tried to install it on.

ERROR [2017-09-20 10:03:23,409] [1] [SourceTree.App] [.ctor] - finish EnsureSquirrelExecutionStubIsCopied
ERROR [2017-09-20 10:03:23,655] [1] [SourceTree.App] [OnStartup] - Failed to start
System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
at SourceTree.Notifications.NotificationsManager.SetOwner(NotificationDialogWindow notificationWindow)
at SourceTree.Notifications.NotificationsManager.ShowNotificationDialog[T](NotificationDialogWindow notificationWindow, Tuple`2 customAction, VistaTaskDialogIcon icon)
at SourceTree.Notifications.NotificationsManager.ShowNotificationDialog[T](String title, String message, Tuple`2 customAction, String cancelLabel, String suppressionSetting, Action`1 suppressionChangedAction, Object contentControl, String contentCommandLabel, Action contentAction)
at SourceTree.Notifications.NotificationsManager.ShowNotificationDialogWithYesConfirmation(String title, String message, String details)
at SourceTree.Configuration.WpfSpellCheckerPreFlightCheck.Run()
at SourceTree.AppRoot.RunPreFlightChecks()
at SourceTree.AppRoot.OnStartup(StartupEventArgs e)
at SourceTree.App.OnStartup(StartupEventArgs e)
ERROR [2017-09-20 10:10:36,492] [1] [SourceTree.App] [.ctor] - finish EnsureSquirrelExecutionStubIsCopied
ERROR [2017-09-20 10:10:36,637] [1] [SourceTree.App] [OnStartup] - Failed to start
System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
at SourceTree.Notifications.NotificationsManager.SetOwner(NotificationDialogWindow notificationWindow)
at SourceTree.Notifications.NotificationsManager.ShowNotificationDialog[T](NotificationDialogWindow notificationWindow, Tuple`2 customAction, VistaTaskDialogIcon icon)
at SourceTree.Notifications.NotificationsManager.ShowNotificationDialog[T](String title, String message, Tuple`2 customAction, String cancelLabel, String suppressionSetting, Action`1 suppressionChangedAction, Object contentControl, String contentCommandLabel, Action contentAction)
at SourceTree.Notifications.NotificationsManager.ShowNotificationDialogWithYesConfirmation(String title, String message, String details)

Jamie_Clayton September 20, 2017

I've got the same problem today. This is BLOCKING me from using the software.

ERROR [2017-09-21 08:57:45,186] [1] [SourceTree.App] [.ctor] - finish EnsureSquirrelExecutionStubIsCopied
ERROR [2017-09-21 08:57:45,319] [1] [SourceTree.App] [OnStartup] - Failed to start

Jamie_Clayton September 20, 2017

I've got the same problem with this edition on Windows 10. This BLOCKING me from using source tree.

ERROR [2017-09-21 08:57:45,186] [1] [SourceTree.App] [.ctor] - finish EnsureSquirrelExecutionStubIsCopied
ERROR [2017-09-21 08:57:45,319] [1] [SourceTree.App] [OnStartup] - Failed to start

CallumMitchellRV September 21, 2017

I'm getting the same issue as Mark, with the same log.

I'm running Windows 10 Pro. Trying to reinstall v2.3.1.0.

Tried uninstalling, cleaning registry, reinstalling, rebooting several times. But when it comes the new install, it just fails.

I've seen below that there is a fix incoming, but I just wanted to add to this thread.

Thanks

Blake Pell September 21, 2017

I'm in the same boat with the same exception.  I had to go back to 2.1.2.5 to get a working version.

1 vote
frankieloscavio September 27, 2017

Same issue for me. SourceTree stopped working on Windows 10. Currently using other git software that actually loads along with command line to do my daily work.

viren.karmaln February 15, 2023

I have faced the same issue applying the above solution but still SourceTree not working 

0 votes
John Winters December 11, 2020

Sourcetree not working.. we stopped usin it.  We are down to Sublime or git now.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events