SourceTree: Soft wrap code for internal diff window

Oleg Detinin June 3, 2012

Hello:

Is it possible to implement a soft wrap of text in the internal SourceTree diff window, so no horizontal scrollbars will be displayed ? It is much easier to scroll up/down rather than left right.

9 answers

1 accepted

3 votes
Answer accepted
stevestreeting
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 4, 2012

It's possible, but actually I would find that more difficult to read, since the lines then become variable height. Possibly an option that could be added though.

Oleg Detinin June 4, 2012

Thanks Steve ! It will be VERY VERY helpful !

Also, this can be (or rather should be) an option in preferneces (for those who prefer to scroll left/right). As for a lines with variable height -- soft wrap can be represented with dots, like this:

Thanks again !

Steven Bamford August 23, 2012

I would find this option extremely useful. As well as code, I use git for documents (written in LaTeX), in which (if the editor is using soft wrapping) sometimes an entire paragraph will be in a single line. It would make sense for lines to wrap in this case. Highlighting changed words within lines (like FileMerge) would also be really useful in this case.

Helga Schneider October 7, 2012

+1 for adding an option, which would be much improving my workflow. I have the same scenario as Steven, using git through SourceTree for keeping LaTeX sources with soft wrapped paragraphs.

Jared Richardson February 23, 2015

I'm dealing with Markdown docs and the scrolling is makes it difficult to use. Optional word wrap would be very useful.

dscotese September 13, 2015

The more we embellish the feature, the longer it will take to implement.

Please just add an option to the context menu at the top with a checkmark for "wrap" and if it's checked, then wrap lines and push the line numbers down.

9 votes
elmimmo February 11, 2014

It is not useful but imperative for comparing prose in plain text. Paragraphs can be one single ultra-long line if one relies on the text editor to soft wrap lines (and why wouldn’t anyone), so no soft wrapping makes the diff tool useless.

Of course, for plain text prose, lines as a unit of comparison does not make sense at all, so it would be even more useful if, on top of soft line wrapping, there was the option to compare differences at word level, inline, like `git --color-words` or Diff, Match and Patch’s diff

8 votes
Felix Breuer January 25, 2014

I also track text documents (LaTeX) in git. Having both line wrapping and intra-line diffs in SourceTree would be immensely valuable to me.

Saiwing Yeung March 3, 2015

Yes, please add `dwdiff` style diff as an option.

6 votes
Luke Crook April 28, 2014

diff wrap is absolutely a requirement for comparing documentation. Please add this.

5 votes
m_gol September 16, 2014

I concur to others. It may seem like a burden for code but for prose, e.g. LaTeX documents it's a must, the diff is really completely useless without it.

1 vote
grasshoppermouse October 11, 2014

Agreed. Soft wrap plus intraline diffs. Code is increasingly interwoven with text, as in sweave and rmarkdown docs.

1 vote
Luke Crook October 1, 2014

org-mode + latex + git ftw.

Please add line wrap.

0 votes
Todd Patterson January 7, 2016

I would also really like to have this option. Looks like the request / improvement is being tracked here -

Just voted for it.

0 votes
Jared Richardson February 23, 2015

This would be very helpful when viewing diffs for prose, comments, etc.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events