SourceTree International support

Apostolos Tympakianakis July 15, 2013

Does SourceTree support international characters? I tried to open source files with Greek comments and instead of greek letters I get weird characters.

3 answers

0 votes
Andrew Miller November 6, 2014

You currently have no plans to support other encodings? What kind of response is that? Developers work the world over, some working in different languages or on legacy projects where different encodings are found. At least providing a way to allow users to set the encoding used when displaying diffs would be preferred... Surely it cannot be that difficult to implement a pre-parser...

0 votes
Apostolos Tympakianakis July 16, 2013

Nevermind...

Too much hassle for such a basic thing. Every other git/mercurial client I've used had no problem with greek letters. I will just go back to Tortoise then...

0 votes
KieranA
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 15, 2013

Hi Apostolos,

SourceTree supports UTF-8/Latin-1 encodings which generally support the majority of required characters. If you use different encodings then you'll get unexpected characters. Perhaps try saving your files in one of these encodings provided they support the characters you need and it should work fine.

We don't currently have any plans to support other encodings, however.

Cheers

wknam July 15, 2013
I tested sourcetree mac 1.6.2.2 version, I tried to chang global setting of GIT with [core.precomposeunicode true]. As you know, embedded GIT version of Sourcetree is 1.7.11, this version cannot support core.precomposeunicode option, So I set to system version of GIT(1.8.3.2). But, font failure in description of Log view. you can check this problem with image in this link. https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/5311767/screenshot.png I founded windows version has same problem. please fix this.
Apostolos Tympakianakis July 16, 2013

Unfortunately, The file I was refering to are source files from Delphi 7, in which case I cannot make a change the encoding of those files. And even if I could, this would be a tedious job, re-enconding all my source files every time I make a change.

I cannot see where ST supports that utf-8 you claim. Even opening plain text files, I get weird characters instead of greek letters.

KieranA
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 16, 2013

Hi Apostolos,

It would suggest that the file either isn't in that encoding or has mixed encodings within the file (this isn't uncommon). We definitely support UTF-8/Latin-1 character sets, otherwise most people wouldn't be able to read files. Additionally, we have support for Japanese which would require this of us.

Perhaps you could open up an issue on jira.atlassian.com with some example files that we could take a look into? This way I could load the files into SourceTree myself and take a look to see what's going on.

Thanks!

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events