SourceTree - How to edit a commnt?

Yukiko Takiguchi March 24, 2012

I want to edit a comment that was written with "commit" phase.

I know git allow to dothat, so how to do that on SourceTree?

5 answers

6 votes
stevestreeting
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 24, 2012
In the commit window, check the box at the bottom labelled 'Amend last commit'. You can change the message and also the content if you want, just make sure you haven't pushed the commit to anyone else yet.
Sanchit Sahay June 18, 2014

So we cannot edit comments if its already pushed?

I understand there is possibility someone else would be using the pushed version, but what if its a private repository. No one expect I is using the repository. Can I edit the comments now?

Myung November 21, 2019

In SourceTree version 3.2.6 (latest version as of Nov 21, 2019) the amend command is not "Amend Last Commit" but "Amend Latest Commit". So, it allows the user to change the most recent commit text.

There should be a way to change any previous commit text. Also, if we select the command by mistake how do we cancel it?

1 vote
ssegga August 19, 2015

I have been scratching my head trying to figure out where to find the commit options! To save other folks time here are afew extra screenshots:

1.ammend_commit_msg_2.png

ammend_commit_msg_3.png

ammend_commit_msg_4.png

I am using sourceTree for windows version 1.6.18.0.

1 vote
Herwindo Artono March 30, 2015

Just want to give more clarity to this old question (laugh) with these simple pictures, although this are only for last commit

1. Make sure you're on working copy

Screen Shot 2015-03-31 at 8.07.34 AM.png

2. You will find “Ammend last commit” by clicking “Commit options” at bottom right

Screen Shot 2015-03-31 at 8.11.05 AM.png

0 votes
Virginia Weidhaas March 13, 2014

Hey Priscilla, had the same question today. The Commit Window is simply the window that pops open when you click on "Commit" ( top left). Hope that helped!

0 votes
Priscilla Corbett March 4, 2014

Hi Steve, I'm really new to SourceTree/web development...I'm not sure what the commit window is or how to navigate there. Could you walk me through it? Thanks

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events