SourceTree - How do I cherry pick?

Dwayne Coussement March 26, 2012

Hi, I really don't find how I have to cherry pick, I'm pretty new to GIT (and SourceTree) and I would like to push certain files (or changes) to one or multiple branches. I don't want to merge completely. So how do I do this with SourceTree?

Thanks!

1 answer

1 accepted

22 votes
Answer accepted
stevestreeting
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 26, 2012

In the log view (Cmd-2), just select one or more commit lines (Cmd-click or Shift-click multi-selects), then right-click and select 'Cherry pick'.

Paul Donovan October 11, 2012

Is there a way to included the SHA of the picked commit in the comment, the way git cherry-pick -x does?

stevestreeting
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 11, 2012

Not right now - at the time this feature was added, the -x behaviour was the default but it's been changed in git since to be an opt-in. i"ll add it to the feature requests.

Miguel dB April 18, 2013

Hi, what about cherry picking without committing? (git cherry-pick -n)

Like Bill Beacom likes this
Zteve April 18, 2013

Re cherry-picking. I find that if I try to cherry-pick more than one commit at the same time which includes the tip of a branch, then the cherry-pick action fails with a message saying that a cherry-pick is already 'in progress'. Is this a bug?

Sumali November 25, 2013

+1 for the feature requests:

cherry picking without committing immediately - https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/SRCTREE-1026

including SHA in the commit message - https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/SRCTREE-1228

Like Fedor_Prokofev likes this
Trejkaz May 6, 2015

Selecting multiple doesn't appear to work actually. The confirmation message clearly says "the selected change", i.e., not plural. So I think you'll be doing it one at a time.

Diptiranjan Sukla August 17, 2018

nice

Adam Conway September 26, 2018

If I select more than one commit then the Cheery pick option is greyed out.  Tried with two commits - select each one separately and I get the option to cherry pick, select both and I don't.  They are two consecutive revisions on the same branch...

Like Victor Ionescu likes this
Victor Ionescu November 23, 2018

exactly my problem. 

Whats the solution to this problem tho?

Adam Conway December 10, 2018
Yonatan Lehman June 19, 2019

adam - page not found with that link.

In any case, I can't see a cherrypick option in the menu...

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events