Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SourceTree - Command Line Git

sonnysavage November 14, 2014

I am using SourceTree (1.6.10.0), and I absolutely love it. The thing that puzzles me is the version of Git that is being used. The command prompt says

> Welcome to Git (version 1.8.4-preview20130916)

git-scm.com shows 1.9.4 as being the latest release for Windows.

My question is, why is a release that's over a year old being used? Was there a change in 1.9 that is incompatible? Performance reason?

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
rahuldanwade
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 16, 2014

Hi Edward

The version of Git installed on machines that interact with Stash must be compatible with the version of Git installed for use by the Stash server.

Please go through following links which will brief your understanding.

• cross Git 1.7.1 is not supported.
  • warning Git 1.8.3.x has some performance regressions which may cause problems in Stash with large repositories
  • cross 1.8.4.3 is not supported due to a critical bug in how symbolic refs are handled which breaks pushing and pulling for repositories with pull requests. (Details)
    STASH-4101 - Clone and fetch fail with "protocol error: impossibly long line" Closed
  • cross 2.0.2 and 2.0.3 are not supported due to a critical bug in git diff-tree which breaks Stash's commit page. (Details)
    STASH-5052 - Commit messages are wrong when using Git 2.0.2 and 2.0.3 Closed
  • cross Cygwin: Cygwin Git is not supported for use on Windows servers, regardless of version.
  • warning XenServer can cause msysgit to crash when XenServer Tools is installed. (Details)
sonnysavage November 17, 2014

@Rahul Danwade - Thank you! That's exactly the type of answer I was looking for.

2 votes
Timothy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 15, 2014

Not sure why but I am sure you know that you can install the latest Git on your client and use the system Git instead of the embedded Git.

Balázs Szakmáry
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 16, 2014

You can switch from embedded to system git in Tools\Options\Git

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events