SourceTree CPU usage and slowness

kpowick November 9, 2013

I took a look at some of the similar questions on here regarding CPU issues, but they usually referred to older version of ST, or ST on Windows, or using Git. I think mine is a bit different.

I'm using ST 1.7.4.1 on OSX 10.6.8 with ST's embedded Mercurial (2.2.2). The machine is an iMac, quad-core i5 @ 2.8 GHz. I have 5GB of my 12GB of memory free. The CPU is idle.

I have a single repo open containing about 5,200 files of which only 7 are not tracked. The total size of the files is 63MB with the .hg folder reporting 5,658 files and a total size of 25.6 MB.

Each time I make a commit, ST will spike my CPU at 100% and take up to 15 seconds to refresh the working copy view. In the view, there are about 27 pending/added files. The filter is set to Pending, but having it set to Modified makes no difference.

While working with ST like this is passable on this machine, it is near impossible on my lower-class machines.

What is the issue here? Mercural, ST, Python?

I've been using ST on OSX since before it was picked-up by Atlassian and I've always raved about it, but this issue is really making me consider looking for something else.

3 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
KieranA
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 10, 2013

Hey Kevin,

Sorry this is happening for you, there's a whole number of reasons things like this can happen. Before we can take a look into it, could you fill out the remaining details in the numbered section based on the link in this JAC issue? https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/SRCTREE-1940

I've filled out everything for you already, so there's only a few details left to fill out.

We can carry on with finding out what the problem is from there insead.

Thanks very much

kpowick November 10, 2013

Hi Kieran,

Thanks for opening the issue. I could not edit the original description, so I added the requested items as a new comment.

Regards,

Kevin

0 votes
Chris H (OG) April 8, 2021

I left Sourcetree running accidentally during a conference.

The battery usage went down faster than I noticed and could have ever imagined and therefore had to resort to pen and paper for half the day.

FIX YOUR APP ATLASSIAN.

0 votes
kpowick November 16, 2013

I guess that since there is a link to an issue that anyone can follow, I'll close out this question as per the email request I've received from "Atlassian Answers".

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events