Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SourceTree 3.0.8 Updates Hogs Resources and Closes Tab Unexpectedly

BagusTesa October 26, 2018

Hi All,

Just recently i updated from SourceTree 2.6 to 3.0.8. The update itself went smoothly and my configurations are intact. However i noticed that SourceTree now aggresivelly pool open repositories by spawning a lot of `git status` process in the background. i also noticed, that whenever it reaches certain CPU usages or Hard Disk, it will close some tab to 'intelligently' reduce the loads.

Unfortunately, i always works with around 12-20 tabs open at the same time as necessity dictates me to. Since my upgrade to 3.0.8 it closes the tabs and only left around 6 and sometimes only left 3. Is there any way to change the new behavior?

I noticed we only have the options whether to allow SourceTree to "Refresh when application is not in focus" or "Check default remotes for updates every x minutes". I kept the default settings where the checks when the window inactive is unchecked and the remote check stays 10 minutes. Surprisingly, i always see SourceTree checks more than once in one minute and it always recheck every tabs whenever i focus to the window -- or even just switching tab.

It just a pain to have these processes too heavy to do actual works.

So, to reiterate my concerns:

1. Is there anyway to cap SourceTree git subprocesses in checking file changes? Something like, limit only 5 recent tabs being checked at a time.
  2. Can we alter the checking and tab closing behavior?
  3. Does SourceTree implements a really expensive pooling checks for file changes?

Thanks!

1 answer

0 votes
minnsey
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 2, 2018

Hi

The processes are, I believe, hanging because they are triggering credential requests which are holding the processes open.

This is partly down to issues in the Git Credential Manager bundled with Git for Windows, we are working on improving this behaviour, but also try installing Git 2.19.0 and switching to it in the Tools/Options/Git tab

BagusTesa November 4, 2018

Hi Michael,

I'll try your proposed solution first. Yes, seems my embedded GitBash is two version behind (currently its 2.17.0).

Thank you.

BagusTesa November 7, 2018

Hi, i have tried to switch to system GitBash 2.19 and the result is still the same.

Is it possible the problem caused by anti virus witthheld the git process(es) and then source tree invokes another git processes?

minnsey
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 8, 2018

That is a possibility

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events