SourceTree 2.1.2.5 is very slow - how do I diagnose it?

John Milasch June 20, 2017

Ever since I upgraded to the new SourceTree (2.x) I've been having a slow user experience with the application: if I press F5 to refress the repository, it takes 20 seconds to show the commits list, then 1 minute to properly populate the commit details view and the diff view.

When I choose to pull/push, all the UI bogs down and it takes a while for the dialog to pop up. I usually resort to using git through the command line as it is a lot more responsive, but SourceTree is nice.

I wonder what are the tools available for me to diagnose what's going on? Is there a trace level log I can enable, or something along those lines?

6 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
John Milasch June 27, 2017

FYI this is a known bug and is being tracked by https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/SRCTREEWIN-7374

1 vote
Jesper Kondrup June 26, 2017

Same here, and it's so annoying that this program actually worked better 2 years ago than it does today. It has been like this for a while now, some versions are just insanely slow.

Win10, ST 2.1.2.5

0 votes
Kristian Meyer August 31, 2017

I found 2.1.2.5 ok, but when I recently upgraded to 2.1.11.0, it became very slow. I have one large repository with years of checkins.  Even after the Log/History tab had  loaded, the newer version would keep my laptop fan running audibly.

I uninstalled 2.1.11 , and went back to 2.1.2.5, and found my laptop to be mostly silent again.

https://downloads.atlassian.com/software/sourcetree/windows/ga/SourceTreeSetup-2.1.2.5.exe

0 votes
douglascayers August 30, 2017

On Windows 10 x64 with SourceTree v2.1.11.0 I the app was slow for me too. Would take 3-5 seconds or more for SourceTree to scan and detect file changes even in small repos with only a hundred text files of 300 lines or less each. Trying to open another bookmarked repo would sometimes freeze the app entirely.

I then noticed that the embedded Git version was out of date so I updated it and after restarting SourceTree now everything is snappy again.

Coincidence or perhaps related to this conversation, worth a shot to make sure not only is SourceTree current but the embedded Git is current too.

Tools > Options > Git

2017-08-30_9-34-34.png

0 votes
softelvdm June 23, 2017

Same here. Ever since upgrading to 2.1.2.5 it is horribly slow when open submodules, another repo, clicking on a commit, and, and and...

It's not all the time. It works fine for a while and then it gets horribly slow.

I tried a number of things, like making sure not to use symlinks for repos, turned of spell check (that was a problem in 1.9.x), and switched to embedded Git (as opposed to System Git, (Tools, Options, Git)) and nothing helped. At this point SourceTree is becoming useless (I have used it for years). I installed GitKraken, SmartGit, and neither have any performance problems with the exact same repos.

0 votes
agrassi June 22, 2017

Same for me, it's really slow. This has happened since the new interface.

I'm on WIN10.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events