Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SourceTree 2.0 ssh-agent hangs during commits and some generic rants

Michael Benz May 31, 2017

We have updated to SourceTree 2.0.20.1 because of the critical URL handler issue in previous versions from 1.5.2 and because we use a local Atlassian Bitbucket server and don't want to miss out on the checkout from browser feature. Overall the UI performance and reliability compared to that really old version has degraded a lot.
First step was the workaround needed to get the URL checkout from Bitbucket working again: https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/SRCTREEWIN-7209
Next to the overall complaints about the tabbed UI for repositories that is being discussed a lot on the community here we have had no serious crashes. (Today was the first crash report to bugsplat sent that happened during shutdown of the Windows 7 64Bit machine)

The more annoying issue is the overall slowness of the UI especially when during commits the ssh-agent seems to freeze. Sometimes killing the ssh-agent task from the Task Manager allows you to finish the currently frozen action (commit, pull, fetch) but in other cases you just have to repeat it after the ssh-agent has been killed.

And because I wanted to mention this here again:
Another issue is that was reported from other teams that also upgraded to version 2.0 is that doubleclick on a file does not open it like before.
https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/SRCTREEWIN-7250

3 answers

0 votes
Michael Benz July 31, 2017

Mhm ... strange ... the profanity / spam filter did not trigger when I added the details editing the post line by line.

minnsey
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 11, 2017

Yes, its an odd like that

0 votes

Today the ssh-agent process needed to be killed again. It was a small commit with 2 changed files. I had enabled the option "[x] Push changes immediately to -" and under [Commit options...] "Create Pull Request".
I left the client open for at least 30 minutes to see if it would recover ... but it did not.

After killing the ssh-agent the UI unfroze and the dialog showed the error message:

git -c diff.mnemonicprefix=false -c core.quotepath=false commit -q -F C:\Users\myuser\AppData\Local\Temp\tempfilename.tmp

git -c diff.mnemonicprefix=false -c core.quotepath=false push -v --set-upstream origin fix/branchname:fix/branchname:fix
Pushing to ssh://git@bitbucket.server-url.de:7999/tst/repo.git
Authentication failed.
fatal: Could not read from remote repository.

Please make sure you have the correct access rights
and the repository exists.

Completed with errors, see above.

I could not add the system details (Please check for unappropriate language or spam): 

The commit happened, but the push did not complete.
Git version: 2.13.1
SourceTree: 2.7.1.0

minnsey
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 11, 2017

Do you get any similar behaviour if you use the git terminal to run the commands? It should be using the same ssh-agent etc.

Michael Benz September 11, 2017

No. git on the console is typically lightning fast ... never had any authentication issues or hangs using the OpenSSH key authentication against our local Bitbucket server or one of the few github repositories. I am always switching to the terminal (Git Bash) when SourceTree (or now Sourcetree) hangs and I am too lazy to kill the aah-agent process.

minnsey
Atlassian Team
September 12, 2017

Does PuTTY behave any better?

Michael Benz September 13, 2017

I have not tried using PuTTY since OpenSSH integration seemed the way to go to be able to use console and Sourcetree in parallel. Also because some of our scripts are now also executed on linux machines. I could switch to PuTTY for a week and give you feedback if you think that might help. Running windows PuTTY seems better integrated. On first try the server key was outdated. I confirmed the security warning and restartet Sourctree. --> crash (no bugsplat window).

Will give you feedback next week if PuTTY integration works better.

0 votes
minnsey
Atlassian Team
June 7, 2017

Hi

First thanks for the feedback, good or bad, its good to get. (thumbsup)

With respect to performance, it might be worth raising a ticket at https://jira.atlassian.com/projects/SRCTREEWIN.

It would be useful to know how/when the ssh-agent freeze occurs, how you know that is the issue as the ssh-agent is usually a background task, not very visible. Also did you upgrade git version when you upgraded SourceTree? The ssh-agent is part of the git distribution rather than SourceTree itself.

Thanks

Michael Benz June 16, 2017

Hi Michael and thanks for the follow-up.

At the moment we just have the feedback from three different teams that working with the new UI (again we updated from 1.5.2 -> 2.0.20.1) feels slower and is more prone to lags or the described freezes while the old version was a reliable workhorse that just worked.

Since our IT also manages our applications we are on Git for Windows 64Bit 2.12.0 and the current SourceTree 2.0.20.1.

For evaluation we will also follow the beta program of SourceTree on a selected VM and from what I have seen improvements are being made. Will also try and get a better grip on the freeze and ssh-agent hangups - maybe check out a newer version of Git for Windows there.

Since coming back from almost 2 weeks of vacation one more thing that was already discussed at length in the forums was again high on our complaints list - the blur effect related to WPF font rendering at https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/SRCTREEWIN-7199

best regards,

Michael

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events