SourceTree 2.0 is horribly slow

Nico Maes August 21, 2017

So after using SourceTree since 1.0, my opinion is that 2.x is not usable in a Development environment because of performancy issues. It takes 2 - 5 minutes to start up SourceTree as before it turned into an 'APP' it would launch immediatly.

Each click event in de APP launches a get from all the history (or thats what my best guess is)

So here is my question:

Are there any settings in 2.1.11.0 that can be modified so it doesnt do all that refreshing without doing nothing? Is there a timer that gets stuck and i can disbale? for example automatically sync or something like that? Any help is welcome since I'm starting to look for an other solution to work with GIT.

Kind Regards.

7 answers

1 vote
tgix-msa August 22, 2017

I fully agree and hope there will be a solution to this. 2.x has slowly become slower and slower with each release.

For the day-to-day things I have moved to GIT command-line and the tools built-in into the IDEs I am using (PHPStorm and Visual Studio Code)

I'm on Windows 10 1703 64-bit.

douglascayers August 29, 2017

Same here; in recent weeks have switched to GIT command-line and IntelliJ built-in GIT tools

0 votes
n1ght3y3s September 14, 2017

Hi Everyone, 

So I have had this issue for the last 3 versions. Can't remember the specific version numbers by it was ever since updating to version 2. Tried everything suggested here (I think) and then decided to wipe out all user and global settings directories and reinstall. Basically did a search in C:\Users\<username>\AppData and %allusersprofile% for anything resembling atlassian and sourcetree and renamed it (for safety). After that and reinstalling it all seems to be running fine. Not sure if this helps but I was at the point of throwing it away.

Bernhard Weichel September 27, 2017

So it seems to be problem on Windows as well. 

I went back to 2.4.1 (the earliest I had in my Time Machine) and the problem remains.

It is not there in 1.8.1 :-)

I tried to remove /~/Library/Application Support/Sourctree but it was not successful

0 votes
Bernhard Weichel September 7, 2017

Source tree 2.6.1 is horrible slow on Mac either. Thanks to time machine, I went back to 2.5.1.

It is slow when computing the difference in large files in particular.

Bernhard Weichel September 15, 2017

In the mean time I went back to 1.9 which works and was the best version ever ...

0 votes
tgix-msa August 23, 2017

I uploaded my before and after logs here: https://ufile.io/op6re

Even if there are just a couple of 100 ms difference, everything in 2.1.10.0 is slooooooow.

Mike Corsaro
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 23, 2017

This would suggest something else is wrong. Could you record a video of the slowness? To easily record in Win10, you can use the game recorder (WIN+G). It will ask if Sourcetree is a game: select "yes this is a game". Once you record, go to "Videos -> Captures".

Thank you!

tgix-msa August 23, 2017

Will try, however I now find that ST is pretty fast when I have now been clicking around trying to get it slow.

Thinking, this is not my normal way of working with ST. Normally I am around in other applications (browser, IDE and command prompt etc) for minutes and maybe an hour and then go back to ST to commit or check changes. THEN ST is slow with the busy indicator showing for > 20 seconds. I am running on multiple desktops in Task View but haven't seen if this affects anything.

While writing this reply I have been in Chrome and after about two minutes switch to ST and it is unresponsive and showing the progressbar for a long time. Quickly going back and forth between Chrome and ST (Alt-Tab) and the progressbar is just showing for milli-seconds.

Mike Corsaro
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 23, 2017

Could you try unchecking both "Refresh automatically when files change" and "Refresh when application is not in focus" and see if that has any impact? Thanks!

tgix-msa August 23, 2017

No changewith them unchecked or checked.

(Are they really working...? I find many of the settings are not working, for example "Show behind and ahead ... in tabs", much wanted function)

Mike Corsaro
Atlassian Team
August 23, 2017

"Show behind and ahead in tabs" only displays on tabs that you're not currently viewing (as that info is already exposed to you), and shows the current branch ahead/behind display.

It should look like this when the tab is not selected:

tab_notviewing.JPG

And when that tab is selected:

tab_viewing.JPG

tgix-msa August 23, 2017

I don't want to derail or high-jack this discussion so I'll start a new thread about that. It doesn't show up like that on my machine (maybe DPI scaling issue?)

0 votes
tgix-msa August 23, 2017

Yeah - 2.1.2.5 is quick as Master Miyagi

0 votes
CodeCasterNL August 23, 2017

Yes, this.

Version 2.1.10.0 is so slow it's unusable. Each click on a log line takes 5-20 seconds to update the UI, which is unresponsive in the meantime.

According to Fiddler no meaningful traffic is exchanged with BitBucket while the spinners are shown, and ProcMon tells me all SourceTree is doing is scanning all directories recursively for .gitignore files. 

Rolling back to version 2.1.2.5 resolves the slowness for now, see SourceTree Download Archives.

Mike Corsaro
Atlassian Team
August 23, 2017

Can you upload the procmon log? I can't reproduce this behavior on my machine. Thanks!

CodeCasterNL August 23, 2017

Will try again when I'm using my work machine, could take a couple of days.

0 votes
billwhitehead August 22, 2017

I am also having serious problems after the upgrade to 2.1.10.0.  I have tried to re-install and run some other git config commands all with no avail.  It is so slow that I cannot hardly use it.

I am on Windows 7 64bit SP1.  Command line seems to run fast.

I have tried embedded git as well as system git.  SourceTree is very unresponsive with either one.

Mike Corsaro
Atlassian Team
August 23, 2017

Could you try disabling the "Refresh automatically when files change". Additionally, could you try going to the git settings and check "disable libgit2"

Additionally, could you provide the following details:

• Number of repos open
  • A repo benchmark (Menu -> Repository -> Benchmark repo performance) of the slow repo

Thanks!

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events