SourceTree 2.0/Win and Mercurial fails with ssh remotes

YKdvd May 16, 2017

We had a Windows 7 developer using SourceTree 1.9.x with a Mercurial repository.    Commits were pushed and pulled to a repo on a linux box on our local network via ssh:

ssh://linuxbox//path/to/repo

This worked fine, SourceTree 1.9.x had saved username/password info however it does.  When they updated to SourceTree 2.0.20.1, the ssh remotes on the linux box stopped working.  We'd get a repeated "Windows Security" dialog for "Git Credential Manager for Windows" / "Enter your credentials for https://linuxbox/"  and username and password, but entering the proper values just keep cycling through the same dialog. 

Checking some details after cancelling showed "Error reading SSH_ASKPASS output for prompt: Unsupported prompt"
[login as: ]@linuxbox's password
abort: no suitable response from remote hg!

I'm an OSX person myself, and I'm  not clear if the GCM usage is new to 2.0, or changed, or exactly how it interacts with Mercurial and SSH.  The "General/SSH Client" preference is PuTTY/Plink, as it was under 1.9 (we have PuTTY 0.6.9), but I think Mercurial always uses PuTTY anyway?   For the remote, we have a debian running mercurial 3.1.2 and ubuntu with mercurial 3.7.3, and SourceTree is using embeded Mercurial 3.7.3.

Reverting to SourceTree 1.9.9 and everything works fine again!  I did a very tiny test with embedded Git and 2.0.20.1, and it seems to get past the ssh connection properly, the problems seems limited to 2.0+Mercurial+ssh.  The dialog saying "Enter your credentials for https://linuxbox/" seems odd, but I'm guessing it is a cosmetic thing and not actually using the wrong protocol.  Any suggestions would be most welcome.

3 answers

0 votes
YKdvd October 12, 2018

Just as a note, the underlying bug report was marked Verified, and High priority, but has never been assigned and is unaddressed almost a year and a half later.  One of the reasons we gave up on Sourcetree.

0 votes
Psychobilly October 12, 2018

WHoops.

Wrong topic

0 votes
Ana Retamal
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 17, 2017

Hi!

I've contacted our developers regarding this issue and have submitted a bug report on your behalf, you can find it at SRCTREEWIN-7269. You can now watch that ticket to get notified of further updates, or add a comment if you have any question.

Is there anything else I can help you with?

Cheers :)

Ana

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events