Source Tree update fails?

Alan Wong August 9, 2012

I'm currently using Source Tree 1.4.4.2 on Mac OS X (10.6.8). I've attempted to update to 1.5.3 (Source Tree > Check for Updates > Install Updates), but it fails.

My Mac is configured so that it has multiple accounts, and the account that I usually use is not the root administrator account, even though it has admin rights.

When I attempt to update, Source Tree successfully downloads the compressed update but it cannot extract the file. The failure to extract the update occurs regardless of whether I update Source Tree from root or
my user account with admin rights.

5 answers

0 votes
Stephen Lock January 4, 2016

Exactly the same issue here. Sourcetree has done this for every update for the last few months. The same happens in the browser, but then the download finishes after about 100 seconds as tonka3000 found. Maybe the updater gives up before this time?

Any ideas why this may be @Steve Streeting ?

0 votes
Deleted user December 16, 2015

The update fails for me too. It seems to get very close to the end of the download, e.g. the text on the progress meter would imply it's in the last 1k of download, then it fails. When I download from the website the last portion of the download took quite a while, ~1.5minutes for the last k of download.

Could the update be failing because of a slow download?

0 votes
tonka December 2, 2015

Hey,

this update-problem happen to me in every version of SourceTree. The download seems not to complete at the end. I've always download the setup from the website, but this download also sleeps at the end of the download for approximately 100 seconds. I think thats a server-side problem.

I have this problem on Windows and on Mac, in different locations with different internet connections.

Please check that, it is really annoying to always update manually.

Greetings

Tonka 

0 votes
Alexander S. November 26, 2015

I have 2.0.5.6 and getting an error when trying to upgrade to 2.0.5.7. It downloads 47.1 of 47.2 MB and shows an error message that the upgrade failed. Tried many times.

0 votes
stevestreeting
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 12, 2012

Please manually download SourceTree 1.5.x from http://www.sourcetreeapp.com and just drag & drop it into your Applications folder this one time. A bug in Mac OS X 10.6 started causing problems for the auto-update from SourceTree 1.4.3, we've worked around this in 1.5+ but you need to manually update once to get the fix. From then on auto-updates will work on 10.6 again. Mac OS X 10.7 and 10.8 were not affected.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events