Source Tree unforgivingly prompts to sign into Visual Studio

chris del August 30, 2017

When Source Tree is open on Windows 7, and this is all-day, every-day, a prompt comes up asking for a sign into Visual studio. I don't have VS nor have I ever used it. 

There are two possibilties that come to mind- 1. It is on this machine somewhere in the background and I cannot access it. It's a work computer and a previous user might have had it installed. If so does anyone know how I could check this? i.e safe-mode etc. Obviously I checked that it is not installed visibly/normally in my environment.

2. More likely, since I have pulled from some remotes that have a Visual Studio origins, and I have done this many times, it associates my end with the VS orgin and sends the prompt.

If I close the prompt it immediatley opens again, and again, and

again, ad nauseaum. Literally ad nauseum!

This only happens with Source Tree and it is iffuriating. Does anyone know how I can stop it from continually opening once I've closed it?

1 answer

0 votes
jyo
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 30, 2017

Hi Chris,

Can you check to see if there is a link to Visual Studio under Git Credentials Manager? I believe there are screenshots on how to remove the settings here: https://stackoverflow.com/questions/15381198/remove-credentials-from-git

Sounds like Git is trying to open VS upon opening SourceTree, or something of that sort.

chris del September 7, 2017

Hi, 

It took me some time to look into this. I disabled the credential managers like the SO post said. This did nothing.  The screenshots show how to disable my credentials entirely. Not sure if this would work, but I don't actually want to do this, unless it might solve the problem.

Also, I have my windows credentials manager open and there is no Visual Studio info. There is some bitbucket, some github and a bunch of MS office stuff. Prob used for logging into company stuff. 

This VS prompt has actuallt gotten worse and now opens 4 windows. Only way to work is to have the VS studio prompt behind other windows. 

Other ideas? Impossible to work like this. 

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events